Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are there ratings in grey on my itunes?

Why are there ratings in grey on my itunes but they appear in black on my ipod classic? This has been happening for around last 6 months. When I rate something on my ipod, I now have to manually add the new ratings into iTunes before syncing the ipod otherwise itunes existing ratings will override what I have selected on my ipod. Can I get rid of these itunes ratings? I have an ipod classic 160gb and am using windows 7

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 6:58 PM

1 reply

Nov 25, 2015 1:42 PM in response to jsmiley108

The light grey (formerly hollow) stars are autoratings generated because some of the tracks on the album have been rated. If you rate an album as 3 stars all unrated tracks get a 3 star autorated track rating. If you rate one track from an album as 2 stars, and another as 4, leave the rest unrated, the album gets autorated to 3 stars (the average of all manually rated tracks).

iTunes generates these autoratings on the fly. To clear them use my scripts ClearAlbumAutoRating and/or ClearTrackAutoRating which sets manual values of 1%. There are corresponding scripts to reset things if you want, ot to clear and reset track autoratings.

There currently seems to be another issue where syncing after tracks have been rated on a device may cause an album to gain a full rating. Hopefully Apple are aware of this issue and will resolve in a later build, but keep an eye out for unwanted changes.

tt2

Why are there ratings in grey on my itunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.