Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto Crash-Exception Type Bad Access?

I am using iPhoto 9.4.3 on my iMac 10.8.5. I know the library was "rebuilt" I think that is what it was called a few times in the last year; other than that, it has

worked. I just used it last week. Now it will not stay open longer than 3 seconds and comes up with exception type and codes saying:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000c5357a30

VM Regions Near 0xc5357a30:

CG shared images 00000000c0001000-00000000c0009000 [ 32K] rw-/rw- SM=SHM

-->

CG shared images 00000000c5f37000-00000000c5f3f000 [ 32K] rw-/rw- SM=SHM

plus a whole lot more. I set it up to save to my external hard drive instead of my iMac, but I don't know where the pictures are actually "filed" under. The old iPhoto allowed you to open up the library and click on the year, month and day. Tedious, but at least you could see the pictures. It let me open up a new library. Out of my "ignorance" of knowing what to do, I tried transferring all the files, (database, albums, plist, etc) to the new library, but it crashed as well. I thought maybe it would work since the actual files are on the external hard drive and it seems that my iMac hard drive has a problem? I ran disk utility to verify, it showed nothing. Disk permissions were all safari and iTunes . I restarted, didn't change anything.

Does anyone have any ideas or think it is the app itself on the iMac? I think this is one I paid for the app online instead of having a physical disk back in 2012. So I am not sure if I can redo the "package" or not and if all my albums would transfer back in if I did do that.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 12:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 1:13 AM

Crashing:

A lot of older versions of iPhoto 11 are having this right now:

Huxly647 figured out this fix

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

That may relate to your problem, may not.

If not then please post the first 50 - 100 lines of the crash report.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2015 1:13 AM in response to Ruby11Dots

Crashing:

A lot of older versions of iPhoto 11 are having this right now:

Huxly647 figured out this fix

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

That may relate to your problem, may not.

If not then please post the first 50 - 100 lines of the crash report.

Nov 22, 2015 2:12 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you!! Wow, would have never found it and such a simple fix. It doesn't bother me either as I always take a "file" of pictures, put it on the desktop, and then put on Facebook, email, etc. I don't use iPhoto on the internet for anything. I appreciate the "fix" so quickly as I was trying to get my Christmas letter ready with all the pictures I needed from IPhoto. What a blessing!

Just a curious question, do you think Google updated something to cause it or was it a iMac update? iPhoto (and Pages) is one of the reasons I haven't updated to the last 2 upgrades from 10.8.5.

Thanks again!

Nov 22, 2015 11:19 PM in response to Ruby11Dots

This is affecting older versions of iPhoto only. It looks like there was a licence to use google maps for the Places feature and that licence has expired. Newer version of iPhoto use Apple's own mappings facility. As the apps don't crash without these files, or if these files are blocked from connecting to the internet, then it seems that something has changed on the google side, but that's a guess.

I've no idea why iPhoto would stop you upgrading your OS, nor Pages either.

Nov 22, 2015 11:17 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for answering that question about the map. I meant that I CHOSE not to upgrade to the newest OS because from what I had read, I would have had to buy the new version of iPhoto and iLife; they didn't get a "free" upgrade and the newer versions have taken out some of the features I like.

Been sort of "forced" into upgrading-had the G5 and the screen degraded; talked to Apple Care and no help. Found out from one of my early uses of an Apple Forum that it was a known problem from one factory in China. My Mac died one month after the recall ended. I was given a white iBook, also known for overheating issues. I always kept it on a fan base, used as a desktop. But I opened it one day and it literally went up in smoke. (I did have several years out of that one, though.) So in 2012 I bought a brand new computer, was able to upgrade to Mt. Lion within the month and it serves me well. Been using macs since the IIe and GS and Blueberry days. 🙂

I appreciate these forums and the people who take the time to help one another and answer questions. It has saved me countless hours of grief and from spending more money that I don't have. So thank you all again!

Nov 23, 2015 9:31 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi I am having the same problem with iphoto crashing when i am connected to the internet. I saw the fix posted but I can't find the googlemap.html file to delete. This is the path someone previously said the file was. Applications>iphoto>content>resources

I just have applications>iphoto application (not a folder with other items in it)

I did a search for "contents" "resources" "googlemap" and "googlemap.html" and did not find the googlemap.html file.

What could be the problem?

here is some of the error report

Process: iPhoto [555]

Path: /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

Identifier: com.apple.iPhoto

Version: 9.4.2 (9.4.2)

Build Info: iPhotoProject-710042000000000~2

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [117]

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.8.5 (12F2560)

Report Version: 10

Interval Since Last Report: 2185302 sec

Crashes Since Last Report: 12

Per-App Interval Since Last Report: 34057 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 7

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000000c53b7a30

VM Regions Near 0xc53b7a30:

CG shared images 00000000c0001000-00000000c0009000 [ 32K] rw-/rw- SM=SHM

-->

CG shared images 00000000c5c3e000-00000000c5c46000 [ 32K] rw-/rw- SM=SHM

Nov 24, 2015 11:47 PM in response to Yer_Man

This is what I read about using Yosemite or El Capitan upgrades:

This Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) article is for Photos for Mac on OS X - it is not for Photos on iOS (iPhone / iPad / iPod touch).

Q. After upgrading OS X, iPhoto won't open and it says I need an update from the App Store for compatibility with Yosemite/El Capitan but when I go to the App Store it says the app is not available. What can I do?

Q. Where has iPhoto gone/Can I use iPhoto with Yosemite/El Capitan?

A. As of OS X 10.10.3 or later iPhoto has been discontinued and replaced with a new "Photos" application. If you have:

• no version of iPhoto, iPhoto is no longer available and you must use Photos or a third party alternative to Photos
  • iPhoto 9.4.3 or earlier and you have not previously updated/purchased iPhoto 9.4.4-9.6.1 from the Mac App Store - iPhoto is no longer available and you must use Photos or a third party alternative to Photos
  • iPhoto 9.4.3 or earlier and you have previously updated/purchased iPhoto 9.4.4-9.6.1 from the Mac App Store - delete iPhoto from your Applications folder, go to Apple menu > App Store… > Purchased tab (login if necessary) > locate iPhoto 9.6.1 in your purchased list and click the Download/Update/Install button to the right
  • iPhoto 9.4.4-9.6.0 go to Apple menu > App Store… > Purchased tab (login if necessary) > locate iPhoto 9.6.1 in your purchased list and click the Update button to the right - if this does not work delete iPhoto first from your Applications folder, then go to Apple menu > App Store… > Purchased tab (login if necessary) > locate iPhoto 9.6.1 in your purchased list and click the Download/Install button to the right

After reading the above, I just figured I would end up buying yet another Photo program and my iPhoto wouldn't work with the new upgrades. I see from reading some of your previous posts this year that several people had difficulties with that. (I believe you had to be upgraded to 9.6 in iPhoto, which one can't do unless they upgrade their OS) I don't know if Photos came with the new OS systems or if one had to purchase it again in iLife separately. I may have been completely off base to think it wouldn't upgrade, but right now I am thankful everything is working fine and I don't think I need the upgrade. 🙂

Nov 25, 2015 12:23 AM in response to Ruby11Dots

After reading the above, I just figured I would end up buying yet another Photo program and my iPhoto wouldn't work with the new upgrades

You might choose to n=buy another app, that's up to you, but as specified above, iPhoto runs on the newer OSes too.

I believe you had to be upgraded to 9.6 in iPhoto, which one can't do unless they upgrade their OS)

No you didn't, again, as specified above.

don't know if Photos came with the new OS systems or if one had to purchase it again in iLife separately

It comes free with the OS, unlike iPhoto.

Dec 7, 2015 10:56 PM in response to Yer_Man

Sorry, I couldn't get back on sooner..had a Safari crash almost like the iPhoto, except very weird with words badbeef in the invalid address, SM=COW, etc. Does make one wonder.. Got it back, then every time I clicked to get to reply to you, Safari did this, "Can't find server." Added the DNS numbers in that some suggested, then the Apple login wouldn't authenticate. But, I am now on..at least for now.

But your reply has made me rethink about upgrading.. I use iPhotos and iPages for everything I do on the computer. (I also used to use Appleworks, luckily before I upgraded I had most of my files re-done in iPage format, but I miss my phone book in Appleworks! Found that Numbers and iPages would open some of the Applework files, but not the address book. I use the Contacts, but it doesn't print like the old Appleworks phone/address book did.)

My fear of upgrading is that I wouldn't be able to transfer over all the photos and all the newsletters, cards, stationery, etc,etc that I have templates for in iPages and I would have to start all over again. I appreciate that Photos came "free" with the newer OS. That was the other part of my hesitancy of upgrading-buying everything again. So, now I will really search this out and see about the iPages part-if that is part of the new upgrade or can be "transferred"-maybe it is time for me to change my mindset! 🙂 Thanks for all the thoughts..more to think on.

iPhoto Crash-Exception Type Bad Access?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.