Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to sync unauthorized message endless error loop

I just reinstalled my iMac with El Capitan and a new hard disk (the old one was fried). I am trying now to sync other devices back to this computer but when I do so I get a message:

This computer is no longer authorized to play purchased items that are on the iPhone “ iPhone Philippe”. Would you like to authorize this computer for items purchased from the iTunes Store?

I then get a pop up to enter my user id and password. Note, however that the user id that is in the pop up is wrong - it is an old email that I don't use or have access to any more. So I put in my present user ID and password and then I get a message telling me:

This computer is already authorised.

Under that is only one option to press the button OK which I do and then I get the first message "this computer is no longer authorized" in an endless loop!

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 20, 2015 10:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 8:13 PM

Hello Philbo62,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

This is a good question. I understand that you are prompted to authorize iTunes, but it shows the wrong (an old) Apple ID. You then correct the Apple ID and enter your password, but are told the computer is already authorized.

If this is all correct, it sounds like to me you have some data on your iPhone, (applications, music, books, etc.), that were downloaded from this previous Apple ID. iTunes is recognizing this and is prompting you to authorize that account as well.

Helpful steps for this situation can be found in the following article.

Authorize your purchases with the correct account name

The items you're trying to play might have been purchased using a different iTunes Store account. To determine which account was used to purchase an item, follow the steps below:

1. Select a purchased song in your library.
  2. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose File > Get Info.
    Windows: Press Control and B on your keyboard to turn on the iTunes menu bar. From the menu bar, choose File > Get Info. Learn more about menus in iTunes for Windows.
  3. Click the File tab. Make note of the Account Name that appears in the list. This is the account name (Apple ID) that you need to use when you authorize your computer to play this purchase.
    The Apple ID that appears is the one that you used when you purchased the item. The Apple ID you used to purchase the item doesn't change, even if you change your Apple ID.
  4. Authorize your computer.

If you authorized the Apple ID that is shown in the Summary File tab, check your purchase history for that Apple ID. If your purchase history doesn't reflect the purchase of the items in your iTunes library, think about any other Apple ID you might have created, and authorize your computer for that Apple ID.

If you forgot the password to one of your accounts, recover it using Apple's password-recovery website.

If iTunes repeatedly prompts you to authorize your computer - Apple Support

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 8:13 PM in response to Philbo62

Hello Philbo62,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

This is a good question. I understand that you are prompted to authorize iTunes, but it shows the wrong (an old) Apple ID. You then correct the Apple ID and enter your password, but are told the computer is already authorized.

If this is all correct, it sounds like to me you have some data on your iPhone, (applications, music, books, etc.), that were downloaded from this previous Apple ID. iTunes is recognizing this and is prompting you to authorize that account as well.

Helpful steps for this situation can be found in the following article.

Authorize your purchases with the correct account name

The items you're trying to play might have been purchased using a different iTunes Store account. To determine which account was used to purchase an item, follow the steps below:

1. Select a purchased song in your library.
  2. Mac: From the menu bar at the top of your computer screen, choose File > Get Info.
    Windows: Press Control and B on your keyboard to turn on the iTunes menu bar. From the menu bar, choose File > Get Info. Learn more about menus in iTunes for Windows.
  3. Click the File tab. Make note of the Account Name that appears in the list. This is the account name (Apple ID) that you need to use when you authorize your computer to play this purchase.
    The Apple ID that appears is the one that you used when you purchased the item. The Apple ID you used to purchase the item doesn't change, even if you change your Apple ID.
  4. Authorize your computer.

If you authorized the Apple ID that is shown in the Summary File tab, check your purchase history for that Apple ID. If your purchase history doesn't reflect the purchase of the items in your iTunes library, think about any other Apple ID you might have created, and authorize your computer for that Apple ID.

If you forgot the password to one of your accounts, recover it using Apple's password-recovery website.

If iTunes repeatedly prompts you to authorize your computer - Apple Support

Cheers!

Nov 28, 2015 8:16 PM in response to AppleJoe

Thanks. This is indeed helpful. When I first set up iTunes way back when I used another e-mail address. I later changed the e-mail address that my Apple ID was connected to. I don't even have access to the initial e-mail address (connected to a former employer). Is there some way I can change the email associated with this errors?

Nov 29, 2015 6:09 AM in response to Philbo62

Hello Philbo62,

Thanks for the follow-up information and I’m glad the information was helpful. I understand that you no longer have access to the email address that you initially used for your Apple ID, but you still have a couple of options.

As the following article explains, you would be unable to merge the content purchased from the two separate Apple IDs into one Apple ID.

Can I merge multiple Apple IDs into one?

Apple IDs can't be merged. We recommend that you use the same Apple ID in the iTunes Store and iCloud. Using multiple Apple IDs might be confusing and might cause issues with accessing purchased content or using some services.

If you need more than one Apple ID, you can still access your purchased items (such as music, movies, or software) using your other Apple IDs. Learn how to use multiple Apple IDs with iTunes and iCloud.

Frequently asked questions about Apple ID - Apple Support

However, because you are no longer making purchases using that Apple ID, you don’t necessarily need to have access to that Apple ID. All you need is to know the Apple ID and the password for that account when updating those apps on your device or computer as well as authorizing the computer, of course.

If you need help resetting the password for that Apple ID, you can use the next link to help you do so.

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Another option you have is to edit the email address and Apple ID from the email address you no longer have access to another email address that you currently use. You will not be able to change the old email address to your current Apple ID email address, but if you have another email address not currently associated with an Apple ID you can make that change so that you will have access to any notifications from Apple that are sent to it.

What if I can't access the email address that I used for my Apple ID?

It's important to keep your Apple ID information up to date. If you no longer have access to the email address you currently use for your Apple ID, simply change it to your current, working email address. This will allow you to continue using your account and will ensure you can receive important account-related emails, reset your password, and more.

You can change your Apple ID to any other email address you control, as long as it's not already in use as an Apple ID.

If you would like to edit your Apple ID to a different email address, the next article will explain the process.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

Best!

unable to sync unauthorized message endless error loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.