Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

is there a way to use a bluetooth speaker with the imac while still using the imac speakers at the same time

So i want to watch a movie on my iMac with my bluetooth speakers but also with my iMac speakers at the same time. I was wondering is there any way to do this?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 5:45 AM

1 reply

Nov 22, 2015 1:14 PM in response to justinfromtyne and wear4

Hi justinfromtyne and wear4,

I see you are a new user here in Apple Support Communities - welcome! I hope we find you contributing often in the future.

It is possible to use multiple devices for sound output simultaneously from your iMac, but you have to do a little bit of configuration first to make it work.

To get things started, pair your Bluetooth speakers with your iMac using the steps in this article - OS X El Capitan: Set up Bluetooth audio devices. In particular, the section titled Set up a Bluetooth audio device​.

1. Choose the device from the Bluetooth status menu (User uploaded file) in the menu bar, then choose Connect.

If the Bluetooth status menu isn’t in the menu bar, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Bluetooth, then select the “Show Bluetooth in menu bar” checkbox at the bottom of the window.

Note: If you don’t see Bluetooth in System Preferences, your computer doesn’t support Bluetooth.

2. Follow the onscreen instructions to set up the device.

Next you need to create a multi-output device which includes both your iMac's speakers and your Bluetooth speakers. For this we use an application called Audio Midi Setup (found in /Applications/Utilities.) Use the steps in this help page - Play audio through multiple devices at once - Audio MIDI Setup Help

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Sincerely.

is there a way to use a bluetooth speaker with the imac while still using the imac speakers at the same time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.