Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows Bootcamp drivers for MacBook Pro 2011

I have replaced my HDD with a SSD and wiped out any trace of Mac OSX and installed Windows 10 on it. But I can't seem to find a way to download the Windows BootCamp drivers to install. Can someone please help uploading the Bootcamp drivers for windows onto a google drive or some place where I could use? I don't want to wipe my machine to install Mac OSX, start up the bootcamp process and download the driver - losing all my Windows instance and configuration.

MacBook Pro, Windows 10, No OSX installed - just Windows 10

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 7:27 AM

10 replies

Nov 21, 2015 7:33 AM in response to tcsekhar

You installed Windows using an unapproved process. The way to install Windows is to use either a virtual machine or use Boot Camp Assistant. Why did you choose to not install Windows using of these two ways? You will not now get system and security updates for your computer. And, as you have found out you have no way to get drivers for your hardware. To download the Boot Camp Support software reinstall OSX then use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows.

You could try downloading the support software using another computer running OSx.

Nov 23, 2015 9:03 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

I swapped my HDD with a 250GB SSD to run Windows and didn't want to lose any space for OSX. Thats why I did what I did. And, there is no way its any different with full Mac OSX installed and running windows under bootcamp. Ofcourse, yes there is no way to download the drivers from my machine after I do it this way. I'm really sorry to say that I was able to download the bootcamp software from a forum and was able to install on my MacBook Pro and I'm all good.

There are always people who will never ever imagine something beyond what's perceived is possible. And then there are people who think beyond what's possible and try them. Unless you try you never succeed. I'm happy with where I'm and don't like to be tied to something. Thanks for your suggestion to go back to Mac OSX and run Windows the way Apple dictates, sorry I'm not that kind.

Nov 25, 2015 9:49 AM in response to tcsekhar

I have Windows installed on my Mac Mini Internal HD as well all works well. However, you MUST have OS X installed on an external drive and boot up in OS X on occasion in order for your Mac to operate correctly. Do not boot into Recovery without OS X hooked up or you will run into problems. I've been running Windows (Stand-Alone) on my Mini for 2 or 3 months now. I use OS X on an external HD at least 3 or 4 times a week to maintain system stability. Your Mac has no User BIOS. Your Mac Firmware solely depends on Apple Updates and OS X for stability and regular updates. From experience here, just simply do not rely on Windows alone. Install OS X Yosemite or El Capitan on External Hard Disk. To run OS X, plug in ext drive and power up. To run Windows, make sure external drive is unplugged and power up. Do not use Startup Disk in Recovery, System Prefs or Boot Camp in Windows. You will find the Boot Camp drivers in Apple's Support Web Site. Good Luck!!

Cheers!!

Nov 23, 2015 1:35 PM in response to jndupuis1

Hello again. The main point is that Windows OS alone does not have the OS X capability of properly addressing, maintaining and updating UEFI/EFI and Mac Firmware. That is why it is important to have running stable OS X environment to boot in to on a regular basis. Otherwise, Windows runs fine and provides Networking compatibility. You just can't stay on Windows alone for a long period of time and you must know the Mac functional limitations without OS X as well.

Cheers!!

Nov 25, 2015 10:02 AM in response to jndupuis1

Thank you Loner T. This is an awesome idea. I will do that. Thank you jndupuis1 on your suggestion on occationally running MacOSX to update the firmware which makes sense. Will do that.

Fortunately, iTunes automatically updated my BootCamp yesterday through the Apple Updates on my Windows 10 instance. I'm surprised with that.

Nov 25, 2015 6:05 PM in response to tcsekhar

Okay, your call. I was trying to explain that, I too, accomplished the install of Windows as primary OS on my Mac. I quickly realized that OS X is needed and required to be booted for long-term stability of your Mac. Hence, I use OS X on an External HD. OS X maps and addresses this Firmware that Windows will not. It is an Apple "proprietary" thing. Just as Linux can't always make all the "stuff" work behind the scenes on a PC, Apple built their machines with proprietary Firmware that the bit mapping and addressing is done only through OS X. Windows can't. I can't say it enough. Take care.

Cheers!!

Windows Bootcamp drivers for MacBook Pro 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.