Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NAS and Macmini

Greetings, I have search the community and found nothing on
this subject that pertains to me.

Here is the problem, I have installed OXS sever on my Macmini (latest model)
re-installed Yosemite, checked disk, re done all my cables and gigabyte
switches, still I have lost all my NAS Ethernet connections. I have reset the smc and still no

external hard drives show up in finder.

I can access the NAS via ip address and map this way but not as a hard drive as I use to.

Since I use my wd my cloud as my itunes, I really would like to get the system back up and running.

I see them on the PC side but not on mac. I have a simple
setup, out from cable model into gigabyte switch into devices such as mac. The
NAS is on the switch and I have the WD My Cloud and Seagate Blackarmor 8tg NAS.
I have tried everything and still cannot see the NAS as a shared device, can’t
add, I can ping it and get it through safari , but not on the mac.

Anyone solved this or have an idea? I though it was a firewall
thing but nothing shows up as blocked and it worked before when I had
centrylink dls service but now I have cox.

Thanks,

justin

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), not really sure of os

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 9:24 AM

7 replies

Nov 24, 2015 2:12 AM in response to jevans106

What is the make and model of NAS you have?

Possible issues are -

1. Mavericks and later i.e. including Yosemite and El Capitan will 'prefer' using SMB over AFP. Your NAS almost certainly does both and likely has both enabled
  2. Sometimes when Apple update OS X the resulting changes to the included implementation of AFP means that the NAS needs updating to be compatible, this has happened a couple of time including when Yosemite came out, most if not all NAS makers have by now issued software updates to resolve this but of course you need to have installed it in to the NAS
  3. It is possible to configure the Finder to not show mounted server i.e. NAS volumes on the desktop, this is controlled by a setting in the Finder preferences
  4. Similarly you can turn off showing 'Bonjour' detected servers in the sidebar in the Finder

If you have not already try connecting to the NAS in the following two ways -

• In the Finder go to the Go menu and select Connect to Server
  • Then first try entering an address like afp://192.168.1.10 i.e. the IP address of the NAS
  • Then try the same but doing smb://192.168.1.10 i.e. the IP address of the NAS

If the SMB option works but the AFP option does not this would tend to confirm an AFP compatibility issue as described in number 2 above.

Nov 24, 2015 9:05 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi all tried the admin even through buying the Mac os sever, still doesn't work. The only way I can get to it is through the smb, if I spelled it right, and connect this way. I have a Seagate Black Armor business nas and a wd, my nas. Both have no issues in Windows, however, they don't stay connected in mac. They don't show up when running the utility program to connect an map nas either. Just connection through SMD, http, ect. It beyond frustrating, no help from Apple, wd or Seagate. It's something to do with the ethernet part on the Mac, tried everything. Even the time capsule won't connect over ethernet unless the wifi is on. Did the disconnect all, hold power down, wait then power up again and same issue. I just want the stupid nas remembered by mac. I was hoping the new OS would fix it, but nope, Justin

Nov 24, 2015 9:21 AM in response to jevans106

I would not regard Seagate as a major and therefore robust supplier of NAS products, nor for that matter WD. The big three brands are NetGear ReadyNAS, QNAP, and Synology.

You don't details the exact models but I certainly get the impression that the Seagate Black Armor Business NAS 110 as an example is probably around three years out of date. The news might be a little better for WD NAS products, I found the following page which seems to provide some firmware updates for WD NAS products dating from 2014 and claiming to add better support for Yosemite and earlier versions of OS X. While this article mainly talks about improved Time Machine compatibility Time Machine in this case requires using AFP and hence might equally benefit generic AFP usage as well. See http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=3561

Note: Most if not all NAS products use a version of the open source NetAtalk software to provide AFP services. This is what has needed to be updated on occasions to be compatible with Apple's own AFP implementation. Not that it will help much but here is the website for NetAtalk. See http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/

Nov 25, 2015 11:56 AM in response to John Lockwood

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it, however, I cant afford to get another NAS system, wont be using Seagate or WD for sure. If anything, Netgear or what you suggested.

One of the puzzles I cant figure out is all this stuff worked before, then something happened between all the OS updates on the mac. Now I have a MacMini

So there has to be something other than holding down the power button with the power off and or reinstalling the OS to reinitialize the usb and Ethernet, memory, ect... But I forget how and where to find the info. I know this worked after two trys. It doesn't make sense that this use to work but now it doesn't.

I need to totally wipe out the network settings in the Ethernet and simply deleting, renaming and or adding the Ethernet again doesn't do it. Its sort of like deleting a app off your iPhone, it just off your phone and your list, not really deleted out of your iTunes and no way to do that as far as I know. Thus, some how, the old information for the Ethernet is still in the new one or it grabs it form somewhere on the system. Simply reinstalling the OS wont do it either, it was something else equivalent to deleting the hardware, peripheral, cpu, memory, ect.. tree in the windows device manager and the driver along with it. It would search for the latest updates and reinstall. This is what I need to do to the mac mini but don't remember. The other problem is if I do find this and do this process What changes it if nothing was added or remover and the system was unchanged? Additionally why doesn't it stay changed? I wish there was an app like solar winds that would search, fix and speed up anything for the Ethernet side.but it doesn't exist on the mac side.

Cheers,

justin

Nov 25, 2015 12:11 PM in response to jevans106

I can't tell from your post if this problem started after you upgraded to Yosemite or El Capitan or merely a minor update to Yosemite. However as I previously indicated Apple have made changes to the AFP protocol a few times including when Yosemite was originally released. This required NAS makers to update their implementation of AFP to match. (As mentioned most use Netatalk.)

Here is a WD article exactly about this. See https://community.wd.com/t/nas-not-connecting-on-yosemite/97695

So as your problem only occurs under AFP I would tend to suspect this sort of issue. You could try and confirm this by creating a test boot drive running an older version of OS X e.g. Mavericks and boot this Mac using it. If AFP works then it would tend to confirm this.

Nov 28, 2015 8:25 AM in response to John Lockwood

Greetings John and thanks for the reply. I am using the
latest El Capitan,. I have tried
everything to load a ssh installer to install Netatalk, even on windows and no
luck. The mac is even more difficult as most binary installers are absolute or
webpage is gone. I am also not that proficient on the mac as I am in windows.
However, I should be able to create a directory in the mac for Netatalk, use
the terminal, direct it to the install ssh and it should install but nanda. I
got the directory to show up with BDAquapost but it’s on life support since
I can’t find a priority load for things on startup. WD and Seagate app still don’t
work and won’t even recognized drives so if that was even working, the problem would
be solved. If I could get a priority load or the stupid Seagate and WD apps to
work, I could at least get iTunes to load last and not get jacked up because my
itunes library is on the Seagate nas I it take forever to re-direct the iTunes
directory and re-sync. I am also running Windows 10 via parallels 10 on El
Capitan so I could load Netatalk through Windows 10, but like I stated, the ssh
installer for windows as per Netatalk doesn’t work either. This is a ssh
installer which is basically a non-terminal form of install.

On the bright side, I hacked
my high end HP printer so that I can use 3rd party cartages again or
refill the current cartages. More and more printer companies are locking any 3rd
party cartages out which is in my opinion, illegal and hurts 3rd
party business, but this is another story. Cheers, Justin

www.evanslighting.com

NAS and Macmini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.