Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal - Crash at opening

Hello,

I have an issue with my terminal since the installation of El Capitan.

Every time i'm opening my terminal, this message appears and prevent me to using my terminal correctly :

login(9493,0x7fff72214000) malloc: *** error for object 0x7fab5a718cc0: pointer being freed was not allocated

*** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug

What i've tried :

• delete com.apple.terminal.plist from the ~/Library/Preferences
  • Restore disk permission via Onyx and Clean My Mac 3 (Since OSX disk repair is not available anymore)

So far no luck, also i have to mention that for a short time i've disabled SIP (but re-enabled since).

Anyone have this similar issue ?

Thanks for the help !

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), null

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2015 5:06 PM

I had exactly the same issue on my dual-boot MacBook. Some things on my El Capitan (10.11.1) volume got messed up while being logged in via my Yosemite volume and modifying some file permissions on the El Capitan volume from there. Amongst other impacts, Terminal did not work anymore displaying the above error message.

According to other users, the issue seems to be resolvable by running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility which is not available anymore in El Capitan. Restoring disk permission via third-party apps did not help: Onyx (did hang in the middle of the process) and RiparaCapo (exit code: 26 ?). I had a Time Machine backup but I did not like to roll back because a considerable amount of data had been changed already since the modification and I could not reconcile with the idea of a tedious restoration.

I could finally solve the issue by using the hidden repair_packages command in Recovery Mode:

• Reboot with Command + R keys pressed
  • Choose "Terminal" from "Utilities" menu
  • Type the following command (replace "My Volume" with name of volume, you may get a list with "ls /Volumes"):

/Volumes/"My Volume"/usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /Volumes/"My Volume"/

(the repair process may take some time)

Reboot

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2015 5:06 PM in response to Germain_S

I had exactly the same issue on my dual-boot MacBook. Some things on my El Capitan (10.11.1) volume got messed up while being logged in via my Yosemite volume and modifying some file permissions on the El Capitan volume from there. Amongst other impacts, Terminal did not work anymore displaying the above error message.

According to other users, the issue seems to be resolvable by running Repair Permissions in Disk Utility which is not available anymore in El Capitan. Restoring disk permission via third-party apps did not help: Onyx (did hang in the middle of the process) and RiparaCapo (exit code: 26 ?). I had a Time Machine backup but I did not like to roll back because a considerable amount of data had been changed already since the modification and I could not reconcile with the idea of a tedious restoration.

I could finally solve the issue by using the hidden repair_packages command in Recovery Mode:

• Reboot with Command + R keys pressed
  • Choose "Terminal" from "Utilities" menu
  • Type the following command (replace "My Volume" with name of volume, you may get a list with "ls /Volumes"):

/Volumes/"My Volume"/usr/libexec/repair_packages --repair --standard-pkgs --volume /Volumes/"My Volume"/

(the repair process may take some time)

Reboot

Terminal - Crash at opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.