Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro w/ El Capitan will not start even in safe mode

Recently downloaded OS 10.11.1 on Model A1278 laptop. Now it gets about 70% through start up and shuts off. Same in safe mode start. Holding start button down for 10 seconds doesn't work either. Anything else I can do before taking it in to Apple?

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 12:03 PM

Try to boot up into the recovery partition (cmd and R upon startup) and open disk utilities. then try to repair permissions and repair disk. see if that makes a difference.

You can also try to perform SMC reset and NVRAM reset.

Hope this helps!

7 replies

Nov 21, 2015 12:18 PM in response to GhonaZ

GhonaZ thanks. By using your suggestion, I was able to get past a shut down during start. However, Disk Utility, First Aid failed to fix the hard drive. Got: "First Aid process has failed. If possible back up the data on this volume." Appears El Capitan has changed the disk utility format. The previous format which included repair permissions did not appear. Thanks again.

Nov 21, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Darwin Lundberg

Hi. When you ran disk utilities and it gave you( first aid process has failed) it should also have given errors. Do you know what the errors were? You could use Command R to go to recovery and try reinstalling again. But I would suggest using ethernet instead of WIFI as it is a better connection. You could also try single user mode to repair the drive.http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/07/how-to-repair-a-mac-disk-with-fsck-from-single-us er-mode/

Nov 21, 2015 1:36 PM in response to my ginger

Thanks my ginger. I tried the Cmd S start and followed the commands. Still got disk cannot be repaired results. After the reboot command, normal start appeared to be initialed, but it failed and the machine shutdown as before. In the previous attempt using Cmd R, only the disk utility "First Aid" was available, and as I said, not in a form I had seen before. Detail button open to a few lines, but did not give errors. Stated that disk could not be repaired in one of the lines. Looks like I need to take it in to the Apple store. Thanks again.

Nov 21, 2015 1:54 PM in response to Darwin Lundberg

Hi. Disk could not be repaired. That means that disk utilities cannot repair the drive. Disk utilities is lightweight compared to something like Disk Warrior. In disk utilities, you can click on the main drive in the left column(not the indent volume ) and then down at the bottom it should give you the S.M.A.R.T status. If it says failed the drive is bad. It still may be failed, but you could try an erase of the drive . a repartition checking off Guide partition and a reinstall. Doing this from the recovery volume. Make sure the partition is set to one. If this does not work then the drive is bad.

Nov 22, 2015 11:05 AM in response to my ginger

My ginger, thanks for hanging in there. I followed your instructions. S.M.A.R.T. said "verified". Running First Aid again gave the following details : Invalid index key, The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired., File system check exit code is 8., File system verify or repair failed., Operation failed...

Have an Apple store about 10 minutes away. Will take it in on Monday to get their opinion on the health of the drive. I'd rather not erase the drive before getting another opinion on status. Thanks again.

Nov 25, 2015 7:04 PM in response to my ginger

Thanks my ginger and others who helped. Took the MacBook Pro to the Apple store. It was determined that the hard drive was OK, but the software had gotten scrambled. Tech attempted to reload OS 10.11.1, but could not. Had to erase the drive and then reload El Capitan and recover data. Worked faster and better than I would have expected. Tech not happy with the new disk utility that offers much less information than the older version. Difficult to determine what caused the scramble, but it occurred a day or two after downloading and installing OS10.11.1.

MacBook Pro w/ El Capitan will not start even in safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.