Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac os x question

I wrote another post earlier about my mac's os problems. when i bought this second hand mac, the first owner told me it was a 2010 model that was running mavericks. but everyone was telling me that the original os x was snow leopard, well i bought snow leopard. well i cant get my computer to run snow leopard. The disk utilities is saying that the base os x is Mavericks.

So i am wondering, did the first owner and mess up and gave me a great deal on my mac book pro or is it just the way apple is and cant down grade on os x?

Mavericks runs kinda slow, that is why i wanted to down grade to snow. I do have both os x, so i can do a fresh install either way.

second question, i was thinking of changing out hard drives, bc i am running a 160 gb in the mac, and i also have another 1 tb hard drive in another computer, that is still pretty brand new (windows thou)?

So what should I do?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 10:23 AM

15 replies

Nov 21, 2015 11:28 AM in response to Nathanal 1

All of the 2010 MacBook Pro shipped with OS X 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard), and this retail DVD is available for purchase from the Apple Online store only. Your previous owner failed to revert the MBP back to 10.6.3, and then upgrade to 10.6.8 — and left the machine installed with Mavericks.

Back up your personal data. Boot from the Snow Leopard DVD by pressing and holding the option key on a fresh boot. Once booted to the DVD, select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu, and select your internal hard drive name. The next step will wipe Mavericks, and the Recovery partition. Click Partition, and choose single partition, OS X Extended, and option is GUID. This will pave a single partition that will is now suitable for installing Snow Leopard.

Quit Disk Utilities and Utilities — proceed with the install, and when presented with the devices available for install, choose the name (Macintosh HD) you gave your intended boot partition. The installer will finish installing the base Snow Leopard implementation. Reboot, provide the appropriate information using the same user name as your backed up personal data. From the Apple icon menu, choose Software Update until nothing is available to install.

The iFixit and MacSales sites have videos on hard drive replacement for this machine. Consider a larger size SSD for the boot drive, and put that 1TB drive in an external enclosure for Time Machine backups. You will need to use Disk Utility to reformat it as OS X Extended for Time Machine. If not Time Machine use, then reformat it as OS X Extended or FAT32.

Nov 21, 2015 1:53 PM in response to Nathanal 1

hey vikingosx,

ok i have a problem, i am in the disk utilities part like you said. but the thing is when i select the partition layout, the options button does not light up. and cant select anything. also when i ran the cd it stills loads up as mavericks. even off the cd when ran from the main window. the window has the large black x inside of it. it shows a small icon like the picttuced disc, with a white circle and line threw it, when i click on it it says that i cant use that version with the os x i have insatlled already. then it goes.....you have "install mac os x 23.1.1."

what now change hard drive and follow the directions again?

Nov 24, 2015 11:03 PM in response to Nathanal 1

With all the issues your having trying to install snow leopard and Mavericks running slow you'd be better off doing a clean install of 10.11 anyway. You're going round in circles. Erase and clean install to eliminate all traces of previous owner and any os issues they might have had.

Mac os x question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.