Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why doesn't Siri greet me when I press the home button in iOS 9.1

I just up/downloaded and installed iOS 9.1 on my iPhone 6, and Siri does not great me and ask me what to do when I press the home button. I used it to makes telephone calles and text messages and emails in 8.3 and new it was there when She said how can I help you.

I have all my volumes up. I feel the vibration that Siri is active but I would really like to hear the voice.

any help here is appreciated.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 11:14 AM

If you want to hear the "Siri beep", go to Settings>General>Accessibility, and turn Vibration to OFF.

Cheers,

GB

16 replies

Nov 21, 2015 11:17 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

That's weird. It works for me. Accessibility>Vibration = ON, no Siri beep. Accessibility>Vibration = OFF, I get a beep. Maybe the difference in our devices? I am using an iPhone 5s, and I think you are on a 6?

GB

Just looked at the Siri settings, and under the "Voice Feedback" section (which has nothing to do with this, I know, but has some interesting related info), if you check the "Control with Ring Switch" option, there is a little definition below that says:

Siri will silence all audio feedback when you set the ring switch to silent. You will continue to hear Siri beep and provide voice feedback when using "Hey Siri", or when connected to a Bluetooth device....

Do you think that means that the only time that Siri is now intended to beep is when you say "Hey Siri" or are connected to Siri via Bluetooth?

It seems to be an intentional change to Siri in iOS 9, but I certainly am not a fan of the visual response from Siri only....

Nov 22, 2015 12:30 PM in response to gail from maine

Greetings everybody I am posting back. It seems that when you turn vibrations off so that you can hear Siri say hello or beep it turns all vibrations off. Am I correct about this.? In other words when the phone rings it does not vibrate now with vibrate off.! It's all kind of very confusing but what's new

I suppose as it turns out I'll just have to rethink a new operating procedure for what I normally did before..

Nov 22, 2015 2:29 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Seems I will live with vibrations and no Siri greeting, but then again, I have missed calls in meetings because I could't FEEL the vibrations to the intensity (I think) of the older (8.3 iOS) that I just upgraded from.

So do I want big voice and no vibe, or no voice and almost un-discernible vibes.

'You can't always get what you want, but if you CRY sometimes.............Thats what Mick really meant.

thanks gang,

jojoguitar_mn_usa

Nov 22, 2015 2:33 PM in response to jojoguitar

You might want to look into changing the vibration for your ringtone. You can change to another one of the set ones, or you have the ability to create a custom pattern which might suit you better. For the older phone, longer vibration patterns are usually needed because of the fact it is a motor that takes a moment to spin up completely. That was one of the facts discussed in the iPhone 6s intro event, and that is one of the reasons they changed to the haptic engine for the 6s and 6s Plus.

why doesn't Siri greet me when I press the home button in iOS 9.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.