Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wireless setup

Is there a way to setup a network without connecting via ethernet cable? The building in which I live, has free available wifi. They provide a guest network and one for the residents. The signal works surprisingly well but it is too secure. It does not allow any connected devices to communicate (sonos playbar, nest cam, etc.) I have a time capsule and would like to create my own network but I have no way to connect the time capsule to any actual modem.

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 12:22 PM

1 reply

Nov 21, 2015 2:32 PM in response to SkipToPage10ofYourManual

The only way that you will be able to connect the Time Capsule to the building's wireless network is by adding an AirPort Express and configuing it to "join" the building's wireless network.

Then, connect an Ethernet cable from the LAN <--> port on the Express to the WAN "O" port on the Time Capsule. Configure the Time Capsule to create your own private network.

It is not technically correct to say that the AirPort Express would perform as a "modem" in a setup like this, but that is in effect what it will be doing......IF.....everything works as hoped.

Because this is a non-standard type of setup, there are no guarantees that everything will work the way that you want. For that reason, it would be wise to understand the store's return policy in advance before you purchase an AirPort Express.

wireless setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.