Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modem Problem Using Time Capsule????

My Internet uses DOCIS 3.0 and provides ARRIS Modems. Since Time Capsule is a wireless router and a storage device, is there any particular changes I need to make in order for it to actually work for over a month ? When I log into the modem which ran like a fine watch. I purchased one up the better Arris Modems ONLY and connecting my MacBook Pro directly to the modem was simple and the modem adjusted itself to provide bandwidth of 107 mbps when tested at Speedtest.net. I thin carefully followed the instructions for adding a router, namely the Airport Time Capsule. While my connection to the Internet is fine and I utilize a direct ethernet connection to the Time Capsule, the log on my modem is constantly blowing up with all of the, more than likely, standard maintenance routines that it runs to continually secure the best connection to my ISP, however, adding the Time Capsule is generating a plethora of serious errors which were not there until Time Capsule as added. Any suggestions other than lighter fluid?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), UPGRADING TO NEW OPERATING SYSTEM

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2016 7:54 PM

Is the arris modem a pure modem without router.. generally they have a single ethernet port??

Is the TC the new AC model.. ie the tall one? If not tell us precisely the model number from the base and the firmware version.

Arris modems and TC are not a happy combo.. this is well known.

I would be interested in the log messages you are getting actually because most people have no access to them and they are not reported.

Any suggestions other than lighter fluid?

As you are not far from the truth here..

Apple will not acknowledge that there is an issue.. and it is unique to apple routers..

So you have a couple of choice.. besides burning.

1. Replace the modem.. a Zoom happens to work hugely better with the TC.

Fix SB6121 or 6141 with replacement by Zoom 5341J (This applies to the various Arris models as well).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7336122

2. Replace the TC as router.. I am very much in favour of a cheap router.. TP-Link WR1043NDv2 around $50 US. running a firmware called gargoyle..

Plug the TC into it as wireless AP and backup. This happens to be how I run my network.. since the TC proved to also have useless PPPOE client that I need.

3. Return the TC for a better grade wireless router.. eg Asus RT-AC68U or AC87U which both support TM on USB drive.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2016 7:54 PM in response to rossguy

Is the arris modem a pure modem without router.. generally they have a single ethernet port??

Is the TC the new AC model.. ie the tall one? If not tell us precisely the model number from the base and the firmware version.

Arris modems and TC are not a happy combo.. this is well known.

I would be interested in the log messages you are getting actually because most people have no access to them and they are not reported.

Any suggestions other than lighter fluid?

As you are not far from the truth here..

Apple will not acknowledge that there is an issue.. and it is unique to apple routers..

So you have a couple of choice.. besides burning.

1. Replace the modem.. a Zoom happens to work hugely better with the TC.

Fix SB6121 or 6141 with replacement by Zoom 5341J (This applies to the various Arris models as well).

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7336122

2. Replace the TC as router.. I am very much in favour of a cheap router.. TP-Link WR1043NDv2 around $50 US. running a firmware called gargoyle..

Plug the TC into it as wireless AP and backup. This happens to be how I run my network.. since the TC proved to also have useless PPPOE client that I need.

3. Return the TC for a better grade wireless router.. eg Asus RT-AC68U or AC87U which both support TM on USB drive.

Modem Problem Using Time Capsule????

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.