Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migrated photo library is inaccessable

Upgraded to El Capitan and attempted to migrate photos. I try to open up the migrated photos library (776.5 GB) and when I do I get a message saying

"Cannot open migrated photos."

The content of the iPhoto library “iPhoto Library” has already been migrated to Photos. Open Photos to view your library or use a compatible version of iPhoto to open this iPhoto library."

I open the photos app and select all photos and click info and I see it is only 57.4GB. I am unable to access the other 700GB of photos. Has anyone else had this issue?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 2:44 PM

3 replies

Nov 21, 2015 3:41 PM in response to aestorer

"Cannot open migrated photos."

Either update iPhoto to version 9.6.1 to open the library in iPhoto or try to migrate it again to Photos.

To be able to migrate the library again select the iphoto library in the Finder, then change the filename extension from .migratedphotolibrary to .photolibrary

After that drag the library onto the Photos icon to open it again in Photos.

Migrating an iPhoto library will create a new library on the same drive. Is there enough storage to create a second version of the library?

Nov 22, 2015 12:35 AM in response to aestorer

I had to delete my iPhoto

Why did you have to delete iPhoto? The upgrade to El Capitan does not delete iphoto. It leaves it installed in the applications folder.

and I don't believe its available to download again through the App Store.

Apple does no longer sell iphoto, so you cannot purchase a compatible iphoto version from Apple from the main page of the AppStore. But you can reinstall it from the fourth tab of the App Store, if it is showing in your Purchases history.. If you ever updated to ipHoto 9.4.5 or later, it should be showing there, even if you did not buy iPhoto from the AppStore, but it came preinstalled, see this link: Download your past purchases - Apple Support

iPhoto may be hidden on that tab, see this: Mac App Store: Hiding and unhiding purchases

migrated photo library is inaccessable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.