Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am having problems adding my gmail account to Mail. I've followed instructions on both the gmail account and Mail but it's still not synching. Help!

I'm having problems adding my gmail account to Mail. I seem to be doing everything correctly but it's not synching the mail. I've deleted and tried adding it again a few times. I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.8.

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 1:13 PM

18 replies

Nov 22, 2015 8:06 AM in response to scooterfishpaw

I'm not sure where to find that.

https://www.google.com/landing/2step/

In other words when you log-in in a new computer does google send you a verification code on your cell phone or something like that? I guess not, cause you didn't even know what 2-step verification is. Nevertheless when 2-step verification is activated you have to find a permanent code in google security settings website and add it to 3rd party apps like Mail.

What is the exact reaction of your system when you try to sync? A couple of screenshots would be helpful

Nov 22, 2015 8:17 AM in response to scooterfishpaw

Also check these instructions:

Yes, I had problems with Mail and Gmail after installing Snow Leopard. This is how I fixed it:

1) Under all accounts (under the preferences section), go to the ADVANCED tab. Make sure SSL is checked and port 993 is used. Authentication: Password.

2) I clicked back on the ACCOUNT INFORMATION tab, and at the bottom you will see Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP): click on that and choose EDIT SMTP LIST SERVER LIST.

3) For each account, make sure USE Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is checked. Under AUTHENTICATION, choose password. Then enter your user gmail username (without the @gmail.com) and then your password. If you are using gmail as a mail app for another email host, then enter the full email address under User Name, and then type in your password.

After doing this for each account, I finally got Mail 4.0 (Snow Leopard) to work with Gmail accounts. If this is done correctly, all accounts should work fine and can be confirmed with the Connection Doctor.

that i found in this topic:

Gmail in Apple Mail 4 (Snow Leopard)

Nov 22, 2015 1:22 PM in response to jbchem

No, I don't have 2 step verification.

I tried following the instructions you posted but must have done something wrong, somewhere because now I can't get my first account (comcast) synched either. I think I will remove both of them (comcast and gmail) and start from scratch.

Actually, I don't think I want to do that because it will import all the mail in my comcast inbox as unread and I don't want to go through all of them again.

I'm not sure about imap or pop. I'm also not sure about how to find the names of the accounts from the servers. I wasn't even sure about how to do a screen shot until I was prompted to learn it from your request.

Nov 22, 2015 1:41 PM in response to scooterfishpaw

First things first.

No, I don't have 2 step verification.

That's good for now.

I'm not sure about imap or pop.

IMAP is ,in my opinion, better protocol, especially if you manage e-mails in various devices. The reason is that it syncs the actions that you do in all of your devices so that you don't have to do it in every single one.

Finally let's return to your primal problem

If you follow those steps:

1)Open Mail app

2)Go to: Mail(in the menu bar)/Preferences/Accounts(Tab) , hit the "+" and follow the instructions of the wizard for a Google (Gmail) account

the account must be automatically added and start to "Get Mail"

Nov 22, 2015 2:23 PM in response to jbchem

Ok. The good news is that I removed both my accounts (comcast and gmail) and reinstalled comcast using only the wizard and it works. Thank God. I use that account more.

The bad news is that I reinstalled gmail using only the wizard and it's still not working. I made sure the IMAP was enabled on the gmail account and it is. The connection doctor says "Trying to log in to this Gmail IMAP account failed. Verify that the username and password are correct." When I look at the username, the only difference is mail doesn't include the @gmail.com but even if I change that to include it, it still doesn't work. I'm gong to Mailbox, Take all accounts online. Then "get mail" and nothing. I can take a screen shot of something, if that would help. I know how to do that now.

I am having problems adding my gmail account to Mail. I've followed instructions on both the gmail account and Mail but it's still not synching. Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.