Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AMDS refuses to download. I have followed all the advice I can find to the letter with no success. OS is Windows 10

After upgrading to Windows 10, iTunes refused to recognise any of my apple mobile devices and I found that the AMDS folder complete with its drivers is missing. I have researched the issue extensively and followed all sensible advice to the letter but without success. What am I missing?

iPad 2, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 1:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 5:24 PM

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Dopplerup

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Nov 22, 2015 10:10 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for the excellent information, turingtest2. I managed to open iTunes exec and extract the AMDS msi file using 7-Zip. However, everytime I tried to install it, it would go through the process, then the folder would almost immediately disappear and I would get an installation note saying 'AMDS could not be configured. Your system has not been modified, try again at a later time'. Meantime the rest of iTunes works perfectly. I tried removing iTunes again and reinstalling one component at a time in alphabetical order, but again, AMDS will not configure.

I read in another thread about moving a couple of files in windows system32/Driverstore, netaapl and usbaapl, but it was an old thread and I didn't try that one.

There is some sort of conflict going on, but I'm darned if I can figure it out. If you have any further suggestions I would be very grateful.

Nov 22, 2015 8:51 PM in response to turingtest2

Thrashed it to death turingtest2, but same result. Went back to the last update where it was working Ok, but AMDS still won't configure. So went back to June and tried that with the same result. Tried old video card, standard 64 load and son on.

When this first occurred I was backing my iPad2 up to iTunes like I usually do(did) when suddenly iTunes launched into an update. It then wouldn't recognise the iPad even though it had been plugged in the whole time. I thought it might be a USB device driver issue, but the system says they are fine.

So, once again, willing to try anything you can come up with - and thank you for your persistence in this! Cheers

AMDS refuses to download. I have followed all the advice I can find to the letter with no success. OS is Windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.