Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen keeps on going black for 1-5 seconds all the time

I just installed the new Apple TV. The screen keeps on going black for a few seconds. The light remains on on the Apple TV, so it's not a power issue. My Apple TV is connected to a Bose receiver. The Bose receiver is connected to the TV. I just pulled the power and the HDMI connection from the old Apple TV, which worked just fine, and put in the new Apple TV, and am now having problems.

Jessica

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 6:51 PM

My ATV4 connects to a Sony receiver through to a Sony TV and I'm seeing this on occasion too. Apparently these video dropouts are being caused by HDCP copy protection and loss of the HDMI handshake. The TV goes dark until the handshake is re-established.

This site has a ton of info but finding a solution could prove difficult. http://site.hdtvsupply.com/hdcp1.html Hopefully the pending 9.1 tvOS software update will help.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2015 6:51 PM in response to DrJessica

My ATV4 connects to a Sony receiver through to a Sony TV and I'm seeing this on occasion too. Apparently these video dropouts are being caused by HDCP copy protection and loss of the HDMI handshake. The TV goes dark until the handshake is re-established.

This site has a ton of info but finding a solution could prove difficult. http://site.hdtvsupply.com/hdcp1.html Hopefully the pending 9.1 tvOS software update will help.

Jan 18, 2016 10:01 PM in response to DrJessica

Same issue. 4th Gen AppleTV connected straight to a Vizio TV. Behavior is the same on both ethernet and Wi-Fi which shouldn't matter because it's the video signal that's dropping. All cables have been checked but when streaming Netflix or listening to Pandora, the screen goes black and then comes back with Vizio recognizing it as a fresh input that just showed up. I wonder if the "wake device" signal is being passed multiple times over the HDMI cable and re-setting the TV input? I'm not sure what's up, but it sure is frustrating.

Jan 24, 2016 6:21 PM in response to bvp663

aalso seeing this with an ATV 3rd gen via HDMI to a RX series Yamaha receiver which feeds a Samsung TV via HDMI as well.

ATV direct to TV works perfectly.

What could be the prodlem by routing thru the receiver? It's my only video device which acts this way (Roku 3, Tivo, Satellite and blu Ray are all flawless connected thru the Yamaha receiver.

Feb 6, 2016 9:09 PM in response to DrJessica

Mine has been hooked up and going for over a month now. Tonight it just started doing this blank screen for a moment or two. Seems to be happening both with Netflix and sending things from my computer additionally playing items that are already stored on the ATV 4. When the screen comes back it displays the resolution etc. like the receiver did not receive the signal from the ATV 4 for a moment. Seems to be happening very randomly. No set time interval. But. This is. Annoying hope this is fixed soon.

Feb 7, 2016 7:17 PM in response to Marcus PM

I figured out the problem: the Apple TV has issues with HDCP handshaking that NO OTHER device I own has. In my case, it's because my Yamaha RX series receiver outputs TWO HDMI feeds to two different televisions. If both TV's are on, the ATV3 and ATV4 freak out, and switch between black (likely sync loss of some kind), and flickers of video. If I turn off one TV, problem goes away.

It's either a design flaw, or intentional, to keep people from watching the feed of one Apple TV in two locations simultaneously.

Because, unlike Roku, Tivo, Shaw Direct and any DVD player, Apple wants us to maybe purchase a unit for every TV in the house.

I wish that weren't the case, but I can faithfully repeat the reason, every time.

Screen keeps on going black for 1-5 seconds all the time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.