Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4 with Video But No Audio Using Sony Receiver

I have an HDMI running from the apple TV to my Sony Receiver (STR-DN1000), then an HDMI cable going from receiver to TV (Bravia TV circa 2007). Audio and Video work great with my Apple TV Generation 3. I upgraded to a ATV4, hooked up the same way, and there is NO AUDIO. I connect the ATV4 directly into the TV via HDMI and it works fine. Is there something about the new ATV4 audio spec that cannot be passed thru my Sony receiver? This is my prefered configuration. I do not want to go ATV4 --> TV --> Receiver because I don't have an HDMI out on the Bravia TV nor does the audio work using an optical.

Any suggestions?

Apple TV, 4th Generation

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 3:37 PM

2 replies

Nov 21, 2015 4:43 PM in response to Marqy

I'm running a similar setup with a Sony STR DN850 and an older Sony TV. I have the Apple TV set to control receiver and TV in the ATV4 setting. On the TV I have the sound output set to External Audio system rather than local TV audio. You might need to check that setting on your TV. If its switched to TV audio and your TV sound is muted that might explain it. You might also need to go through your Receiver and TV HDMI CEC control settings and your sound options to see if you can find what is causing the issue. Lastly make sure your HDMI cable to the receiver is 1.4 spec.

I've had no end of issues with HDMI CEC doing strange things to my setup. My receiver will randomly mute itself and the TV will switch to local TV speakers when it fails to detect external audio. Usually the Apple TV will switch the receiver input to the Apple TV when I click the remote to wake it up but other times it won't. Last week the Apple TV stopped turning the TV on/off with the ATV and receiver. I unplugged the TV power and plugged it back in and then the ATV was again able to remotely power the TV on/off with the Apple TV. I sure hope the pending 9.1 update solves some of this behaviour related to CEC and home theatre systems.

Apple TV 4 with Video But No Audio Using Sony Receiver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.