Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion 5 timecode not displaying

There is no readout displayed in the timecode of a motion project. The "show timecode" option is selected, but there is no display. How do I turn this back on? Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 5:36 PM

23 replies

Nov 30, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Tom Lyon1

Since it's fine for me (and others), we're going to need more information to try and figure out what is going on.

To start with:

What version of OSX are you running?

Was it working before in the same version of Motion (5.2.2) or did it break after you upgraded from a previous version?

Did you recently make any changes - install any 3rd party utilities, apps, etc?

Does it remain missing if you delete the App and then re-download it from the Mac App Store?

Dec 1, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Tom Lyon1

Just going through troubleshooting and isolation steps I would be doing if this was happening to me, this has me stumped. Please forgive me if some of it seems obvious or elementary.

Do you have any other copies of Motion saved anywhere else such as on another partition or TimeMachine back up when you updated? That might cause issues according to: Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, Compressor 4: Issues updating via the Mac App Store - Apple Support

If you do have other copies, when you're launching Motion, are you launching the version located here /Application/Motion (navigate to your Applications folder and 2X click the Motion app) or are you launching it via another means? - Just verifying that the current version is actually getting launched.

When removing Motion, did you remove it by going to /Application/Motion and moving Motion to the Trash, or did you remove it from Launchpad by clicking and holding on the Motion icon until it shakes and then clicked the x ? - Removing it from launch pad doesn't remove it from your computer, it just removes the shortcut.

Dec 27, 2015 5:10 AM in response to Tom Lyon1

I"managed to fix this issue by clearing the MacBook of cobwebs. Reset the PRAM by shutting the computer off completely then holding CMD+ALT+P+R buttons down at the same time. Then if you've got any spare fingers left turn the computer on whilst holding all these buttons down for at least 5 seconds.

Then release all the buttons at the same time.

The computer should Bong again and startup as normal.

Phew. Hopefully this will work for everyone else too.

May 28, 2016 11:02 AM in response to Tom Lyon1

I am also having this same problem, the timecode will not display. I have not used Motion in a few months so not sure which update caused the issue. I have tried all suggestions listed and while they work, the timecode display reverts back to no display after a day or so. I can get the display again if I do a computer restart but has anyone found a permanent fix. I am using Motion 5.2.3 on a 2010 iMac running El Capitan 10.11.5. Thanks

Jul 11, 2016 12:55 PM in response to Tom Lyon1

I’m having the same issue, I’m running Motion 5.2.3 on OS X El Capitan 10.11.5.

I haven’t run Motion for a while so I don’t know if an OS update has messed things up.

I’ve reset Motion’s preferences but that didn’t solve it.

I also noticed the status bar in the top left hand corner of the canvas no longer gives you feedback when transforming objects on the canvas.

I haven’t reset my PRAM as it didn’t sound like it solved it permanently.

Did anyone find a permanent solution?

Motion 5 timecode not displaying

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.