Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some good news, and a question

It would appear Apple has not been clear cut as to whether or not drivers that work in 10.10 will work in 10.11. However, in at least one instance a driver that has not been updated through the App Store software updates from Apple a printer does appear when you Option click add driver through the System Preferences in El Capitan. Apple has this listing of 10.6 and later drivers available through software update. Apple support downloads for vendor specific drivers exist for HP (Jun 18, 2015), Ricoh, Canon (Sep 15, 2015), Canon Laser (Nov 3, 2015), Epson (Jun 8, 2015), Brother (Oct 8, 2015), Lexmark (Jan 29, 2015), Samsung (Nov 14, 2014), Fuji/Xerox (Apr 16, 2015)where the dates are the dates the driver was last updated on Apple Software Update. My Canon Pixma 922 drivers, which are clearly not related to the Laser drivers work just fine when I option click the add driver in the Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Printer and Scanners in El Capitan. Furthermore, when I go to select Options on drivers, I get this dialog:

User uploaded file

None of these printers would appear to have anything to do with my Pixma.

I wonder how many other drivers from prior to September 30th work on El Capitan?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11), * I may get paid from macmaps links

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 7:50 PM

7 replies

Dec 12, 2015 7:21 AM in response to a brody

Refreshing this thread. Some additional interesting tests. I had a second hard drive with El Capitan, and tried to install with the Option key held down. It failed multiple times. So I went to Canon to download the drivers, which were from February 2015, well before El Capitan, but they labelled it as El Capitan compatible. Well it installed, and sure enough the printer got added. So suffice it to say, some older drivers than El Capitan are El Capitan compatible. But which are and aren't will really be up to either manufacturer or end user to determine. You may not get an update from the individual Apple downloads that are for the manufacturers, or even one that is newer from the manufacturer than the operating system. Double check the manufacturer that they have tested it with El Capitan before upgrading. I might also add for the Canon Pixma MX922 I had to use the IJ software from Canon's website in El Capitan, and no longer could use Image Capture like I did in Yosemite. Image Capture gave me access to the scanner's sheet feeder, where the IJ software did not. The Sheet Feeder scanning (ADF) is only available in El Capitan using the on device screen scanner software and not on the computer itself.

Jan 21, 2016 4:20 AM in response to a brody

Adding to the confusion is that some (all?) manufacturer’s installers check the computer’s OS and refuse to install. I came across this early this year. I had the printer driver installed when I upgraded my computer to El Capitan and it worked perfectly. When I got a new computer with El Capitan pre installed the printer installer from Brother refused to install and at the time Brother had no update on their website. Took another month. I resorted to geekery to get it installed.

Jan 24, 2016 6:48 PM in response to dwb

It would appear that 10.11.2 (and confirmed in 10.11.3) brings back the automatic document feeder and the scanner of the Canon Pixma MX922 to Image Capture. Thank you for Apple's developer connection to alert me they have at least repaired some of the issues. Who knows what other scanners work. Anyone who wishes to be a guinea pig is welcome to post to the thread. You can always install 10.11 on a separate partition to test it without affecting your current environment.

Oct 2, 2016 2:42 PM in response to a brody

Just a note: Epson has updated their drivers for OS X 10.11.x and 10.12.x already, and outlines the procedure to acquire the latest drivers on their website (which drivers are, according to Epson's website, available only at the App store), including how to install the scanner drivers (Image Capture v5.8.6 for multi-function Epson printers, for everything from 10.6.x thru 10.12). Current as of this date: October 2, 2016.

Things seem to be getting better and better....

Some good news, and a question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.