Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An "unread" email will does not display, will not go away?

The mail icon displays a '1' indicating 1 unread email. Open mail, there is no mail. However, at the bottom of the page, it says '1 unread'.

My mail is configured as IMAP.

Suggestions to get rid of the 1 phantom email?

Mark

iPhone 6, Windows 7

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 6:30 PM

15 replies

Nov 23, 2015 6:58 AM in response to Markg2

Couldn't see where I could edit the original so I'm replying to my own original post.

I neglected to say that I had first 'stopped' mail from running and restarted the app and when that didn't help I did a hard iPhone boot which didn't help either.

I don't suppose there's a way to remove and reinstall a dedicated Apple app?

Mark

Nov 23, 2015 7:01 AM in response to Markg2

What's worked for me is to go into Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars, and turn off the Mail switch for that account and then - and this is critical - return to the Home screen and then shut the phone off. Turn the phone back on and then go back in to the settings and turn the Mail switch back on for that account and the "phantom" email will be gone. But it does keep on coming back. This is an Microsoft Exchange account, which leads me to believe that MS and Apple do not play well together, but it is what it is.

Nov 23, 2015 7:06 AM in response to AmishCake

When you say 'turn the phone off' do mean simply turn the screen off (sleep/power button) or do a reset (sleep/power + home)?

It's not a MS exchange account but a generic similar--Kerio Connect. I did check my mail account on the server and when there are no emails in the inbox, the iPhone still shows the phantom message #. Also, if it was the server it likely would sync the same problem to my desktop Outlook mail. Since the phantom only exists on the phone I've got to believe it's a phone problem absent other info.

Mark

Nov 23, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Markg2

They'll charge you for support. Don't know what fixes are coming down the pike as I'm just a user like you and unless it's announced, no one knows what Apple is doing. You're saying that you have a red badge on your mail icon, that means you have an actual unread email somewhere. It may be in one of your sub-folders. If it's GMail, it could be in an archive folder. That happened to me once and I solved it by having Siri read me my unread email. Your problem sounds different than my problem described above.

Nov 24, 2015 5:23 AM in response to AmishCake

I gathered all the pertinent info to reinstall the account then figured I'd go ahead and delete having more time this a.m. than anticipated, until...

I had forgotten that since the account is a generic Exchange account, when I delete the account so goes all my Contacts, Calendars, Notes and email. Although the probability of an install failure is more than remote, given it's electronic :-), I'll wait until Friday when I have more time.

Call me chicken--call me smart--or just call me 'experienced' ;-).

Mark

Nov 25, 2015 1:19 AM in response to Markg2

I am having this same problem too, I keep getting junk mail into my hotmail inbox which when I delete it still says there is unread mail in there. Interestingly this junk mail isn't in my actual inbox only on my iPhone. Removing the mail account removes the unread mail but doesn't fix the issue. Just continues happening

An "unread" email will does not display, will not go away?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.