Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with ssd installation

Hello everyone. i recently took the decision to upgrade my Mid 2009 13" Macbook Pro5,5 's hardware features by replacing the original Fujitsu HDD with a 240gb OCZ Trion 100 SSD (i also replaced my 2x4gb RAM to 2x4gb Corsair RAM modules). The main reason that i opened this topic is that i can't get my brand new SSD to work. These are the options that i tried:

1. Clean installation of Snow Leopard from the original Apple DVD -> The installation took ages (something like 3-4 hours, far more than everyone monitored in other similar cases) to reach a progress of 60% or something, with me canceling it again and again as a result. I tried that several times after i prepared the SSD via the Disk Utility with the right partitioning GUID and even verifying options.
  2. I accomplished, with a lot of struggle, mounting it via a "sata to usb" connection adapter, with my original HDD as a boot drive. Then i made a clone with Carbon Copy Cloner of that particular HDD ,using the SSD. The clone was a success, as it booted perfectly when i had my SSD connected to my USB port. Nevertheless, when i tried to put it in the SATA cable that was firstly taken by my HDD i faced the classic apple logo with spinning wheel below it that was spinning endlessly.

I'm thinking of making a new clone, using the Disk Utility that time and see how it goes. If that fails , i'll try a clean installation of El Capitan. Any suggestions or experience??

P.S. something tells me that the problem of getting the SSD boot internally has to do with the firmware of my MBP or the SATA controller Nvidia MCP79,which is not so friendly with 3rd party/manufacturer upgrades.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply
3 replies

Problem with ssd installation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.