Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Drive

I am planning to buy an External Drive for my new Macbook Pro Retina 13" Early 2015 this black friday.

These are my choices:

www.amazon.com/LaCie-Porsche-Design-Mobile-Drive/dp/B00GFSKSW6/

www.amazon.com/Seagate-Expansion-Desktop-External-STEB5000100/dp/B00TKFEEBW/

www.amazon.com/Samsung-Desktop-External-Drive-STSHX-D501TDB/dp/B00UTZLB8Q

www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-External-Storage-STDT3000100/dp/B00HFRWWAM/

www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-Drive/dp/B00N2S6ZUQ/

I need an drive that is more than 2TB under $130.I read a discusions that all drive are capable of using with as they can be formatted.

and also its size should be handy so that I can take it wherever I go.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 3:21 AM

16 replies

Nov 22, 2015 9:06 AM in response to Aswin1235

The first and last one appear to be powered by the USB which sometimes cause problems. Also, they seem to be 2 1/2 inch notebook drives which are typically 5400 RPM which are slow than the 7200 desktop drives used for the others. The others appear to require use of a wall power supply..

If any of the drives tell you to install backup software or other software I would very likely not install it.

I would go for 2, 3 or 4.

Nov 22, 2015 11:17 AM in response to lllaass

I have so many external drives I might have inadvertently become an 'expert. On my iMac I use OWC & Iomega. On MBP I have LaCie with Western Digital MyBooks on both just for backups.

I recently bought a WD MyPassport Pro with in built Thunderbolt cable - what a revelation! I bought it from Costco & decided on the big 4TB version. Its the fastest drive I have ever had! I don't have the 2TB(The 4 is just 2x2TB in RAID) but a friend has & he says the same. BTW we had no idea they were fast - I bought mine for mass storage of video & photo's. It heavy but for what it does its worth the trade off.

Check out those WD My Book drives, the Mac ones not the 'vanilla' versions

Nov 25, 2015 8:39 AM in response to Aswin1235

I want a External drive without power supply.I think 2,3 and 4 uses power supply.

what about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Connect-Portable-HDTC830XL3C1/dp/B00SY4LFBM

This one is also 5400RPM but I prefer to use without a power supply for my new macbook pro retina.Can anyone suggest a good external HDD that is 2TB and up without the need of a power supply.

External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.