Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2013 MBook Air Display

I have just upgraded from Mavericks to El Cap and am having major problems with the new style flat look. In the main with burnt out white areas and the lack of contrast in some of the grey on grey text areas.

Although there is a variety of different colour profiles, the default on my machine is simply 'Color LCD'. I'm wondering whether the profile has changed in the newer models - albeit under the same name - in order to accommodate the different contrast requirements of the new style UI. Does anyone know if this is so, and if it is where I could get a copy of the newer profile.

If that is not possible, can anyone give me some tips on how to get the most usability out of the new style UI? I suspect it's fine for those with 20/20 vision and a 4K screen but for those of us with poorer eyesight it's heavy going.

The MBA still has plenty of life in it, so I don't really want to buy a new Retina MBP, especially as they're due a major update in the next 12 months or so.

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 2:47 AM

2 replies

Nov 22, 2015 7:08 AM in response to tacitus99

El Capitan introduced subtle changes in its default display profiles and fonts. The overall effect can be perceived as a lack of contrast, or it can simply manifest itself in an annoyance that isn't easily identified. Some people have expressed it as fatiguing to use.

Tell Apple: http://www.apple.com/feedback/.

You can also use System Preferences > Accessibility > Vision > Display to find potential adjustments that may make the display easier to read.

Nov 22, 2015 10:41 AM in response to John Galt

"Fatiguing to use" sounds exactly right. If I use it for any length of time I end up with a headache which is something that's rarely happened in the past. Biggest mistake Apple made putting Jony Ive in charge of UI design. I have tried the Accessibility options but haven't managed to find a happy compromise.

It is possible that the latest MBk Airs ship with a slightly different LCD display profile, so it might be worth seeing if I can try one of those. The alternative is to use something like Color Munki and do a full display calibration. Hopefully it would be possible to tweak the curve to provide greater contrast in the grey areas without burning out the highlights.

2013 MBook Air Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.