Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini won't work with internet recover - grey flashing globe

My Mac Mini hard drive crashed so I replaced it with a new drive. So there is no recovery partition, its a new unformatted drive.

When I boot and try to click command+option+r keys after the chime I get a blank grey screen for quite a while, then a flashing grey globe.

Its hardwired to a local network, same connection its always been connected to.

I've tried 2 keyboards as well since I don't get any feedback on the commands. Tried it a number of times.

What can I try next to get the OS reinstalled? I can't make a recovery usb stick as I don't have another mac.

I tried to take it originally to the Genius Bar but they declined to repair it saying the serial # on the crashed drive didn't match their database even though I've never modified it. So now that I replaced the hard drive myself I'm sure they would decline it even more now that I opened it myself. Its out of warranty anyway.

iPhone 4, Other OS, Windows 8

Posted on Nov 21, 2015 9:28 PM

6 replies

Nov 21, 2015 10:00 PM in response to ilauder

You need Time Machine Backup to get OS X on the new drive. If your old Hard Disk can boot you can use an external case to hook it up and get OS X on the new Disk. The Genius Bar may be able to load OS X on to the new HD. For now:

Make sure just your Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse/Trackpad and Ethernet are ready. No other devices.

While holding [command] + [R] + [P] power up your Mini and continue holding keys until you hear Startup Chime. Let go keys. Wait for inactivity.

Shutdown holding power button.

Unplug your Mini. Press and hold power button for 15 seconds. Release. Wait 5 to 10 seconds. Plug up power.

Hold [command] + {R} while pressing power button. Continue holding keys until you see the Apple Logo on screen. Release keys. Give the spinning globe time. You should see a timing bar pop up.

Use Disk Utility to create 1 single GUID Partition Table - Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Name it "Macintosh HD" and Erase. Then Install New Copy of OS X.

What all these instructions do is clear your NPRAM and SMC and set your new HD up for Internet Recovery. If no work. Genius Bar may install OS X and register your new HD serial number in their system.

Cheers!!

Nov 22, 2015 9:19 AM in response to ilauder

Many thanks. That's a lot better than apple's Genius Bar support who just told me to plug in an internet cable and it would reinstall automatically...

Finally got through all these steps and the original hard drive (which was reporting a hard drive failure) and crashed doing the new OS upgrade was working just enough that plugging it into a USB case was enough to get to the disk utilities.

Got the newly installed hard drive formatted and its partway reinstalling the OS now.

Nov 22, 2015 4:27 PM in response to ilauder

Perfect!!

Just noticed that I forgot one key in the NPRAM Reset. You should not need that now but here's the keys for NPRAM Reset.

Shutdown

Hold [command] + [option] + [R] + [P] and press Power. Continue to hold keys (not power) until you hear the boot chime. Release keys.

Continue booting to OS X. Some personal settings may have to be reset in System Preferences.

Glad you are up and running. Take care and have fun!

Cheers!!

Mac Mini won't work with internet recover - grey flashing globe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.