Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows 8.1 media driver is missing

Ok guys so I'm trying to help my friend set up boot camp with windows 8.1 on his Macbook Air (latest version)

He has the latest version of OSX installed, all firmware and software is up to date.

We're trying to install Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit from an ISO (genuine with key, provided by Dreamspark), but running into errors:

For the first 2 days Bootcamp refused to recognize that it was a 64bit version of the ISO, this miraculously resolved itself yesterday afternoon.

Then Bootcamp failed to complete the partitioning phase, forcing us to quit and have to repair the system partition with disk utility.

Now, boot camp will accept the ISO, complete the partitioning, and reboot to start the windows installer which fails before the "select where to install to" part, with an error stating that a required media driver is missing.

We have tried redownloading the iso to rule out corruption (it works fine in Virtual Box), manually downloading the apple support drivers onto a usb thumb drive (windows cannot find the driver it needs from this, presumably because they're packed as installer files).

The next logical step I can see is to create a bootable usb installation media from the ISO and install manually without boot camp, but boot camp doesn't give us an option to create the media and I'm unaware of a 3rd party option available on mac.

Please help us, this is getting very frustrating!

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 1:37 AM

16 replies

Nov 22, 2015 2:49 AM in response to 82rich82

Just to quickly add to this, I had heard that Boot camp doesn't give the option to create bootable usb media if you have a dvd drive, which obviously the macbook air doesn't so I found that confusing.

However, having been searching Google for options to make a bootable usb without the aid of boot camp I have just come across an article explaining the process to do it through the terminal, but the article states that it's impossible to do this on a macbook air because the EFI bios does not support booting from USB... Is that confirmed? And if so, is our only option to buy an external DVD drive to burn the ISO to? But surely we wouldn't be able to use it if we can't boot from a USB DVD drive?

I myself am not a mac user so forgive me if these questions sound dumb, and my mac owning friend is as computer illiterate as they come (he also lives 300 miles away and I'm trying to help him via phone / facebook, which complicates the matter)

Nov 22, 2015 7:22 AM in response to 82rich82

I assume your friend has a 2015 MB Air. Installing Windows on 2015 models does not require a USB, which has been replaced with a OSXRESERVED partition. Please see https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/ for details. Models with Optical drives (except some 2012 models) do not support USB creation, 2015 models replace the USB with an internal partition for EFI-only Windows OSes.

Virtual box test can be red-herring, because block corruption is not easily detectable. If the ISO came from Dreamspark, can I suggest using https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home to get the ISO and verify the MD5/SHA1 and eliminate download corruption as an issue?

Nov 22, 2015 2:39 PM in response to 82rich82

No joy with either ISO from either source (Microsoft or Dreamspark), both hash verified, both work fine outside of my friends Mac (tried on my PC virtually, physically on USB, and burnt to disk).

I can only think this is a Bootcamp specific issue, I have recommended he rolls back to factory settings to see if he can then use boot camp successfully but in the meantime I am looking into other avenues for bypassing boot camp altogether after finding a thread from one user that apparently has booted successfully via USB on 2015 macbook air.

Nov 23, 2015 1:21 AM in response to Loner T

The biggest problem we're facing at the moment is distance, he has no access to a windows PC and can not use boot camp to create a bootable usb.

Whilst it can be done through terminal I would prefer to avoid having to talk him through that due to believing it would be too complicated for him to comprehend (put it this way, I asked him to back up all his personal files to an external drive and he sent me a screenshot of his desktop covered in files, this is not someone who should be playing with the terminal)

Whilst I could create the drive my end and post it to him, I'd rather not do that either due to time and cost.

Is there a 3rd party application available for Mac that can create the bootable USB media?

Nov 23, 2015 10:23 AM in response to 82rich82

Now, boot camp will accept the ISO, complete the partitioning, and reboot to start the windows installer which fails before the "select where to install to" part, with an error stating that a required media driver is missing.

If this is where it fails, one option it point to the drivers on the OSXRESERVED partition. Most likely the driver needed is AppleSSD.sys.

Nov 23, 2015 10:40 AM in response to Loner T

Windows can't see the OSX partition, it doesn't support Mac file systems so that's no good to us.

We've rolled back to Yosemite and boot camp now offers the option to create a bootable USB, which saves me the hassle of talking him through the terminal.

As we speak we are attempting another ISO install through boot camp, if successful we can safely say the latest boot camp is just buggy.

Nov 23, 2015 11:16 PM in response to Loner T

This whole situation has reminded me why I prefer PC lol!

Rolling back to Yosemite brought with it it's own separate issue, whereby the system partition converted to a logical partition that boot camp can not resize / split into 2, and disk utility has every single option to do anything with the partition greyed out.

I quickly researched the issue overnight and have sent him instructions to use the Terminal to convert the partition using the command "diskutil cs convert disk0s2" and am waiting for him to wake up to try it.

From what I've read that command brings another issue to the table whereby the OSX partition will be listed twice by disk utility, but apparently has no affect on the actual usability of the mac or boot camp, so we can live with that.

We still don't know if this particular version of boot camp will actually be able to complete set up at this stage, and holding down the command key on boot to attempt a manual windows installation does absolutely nothing (no boot menu), so will report back later on any progress.

Nov 24, 2015 4:08 AM in response to 82rich82

82rich82 wrote:

I quickly researched the issue overnight and have sent him instructions to use the Terminal to convert the partition using the command "diskutil cs convert disk0s2" and am waiting for him to wake up to try it.

A "cs convert" and "cs revert" are two different directions. Can I suggest setting up a time with your friend, and using a Team Viewer session between your Mac/other Mac. If this is in the US Time zones, let me know, and I can be around.

Can you get the output of the following Terminal commands?

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Nov 24, 2015 11:31 AM in response to Loner T

I've only just seen this, but we did use cs revert in the end after researching elsewhere.

The syntax is: diskutil cs revert *******

where ********** is the identifier for the Core Storage volume.

Oddly, inputting diskutil list after the operation completed didn't appear to show any change whatsoever, but boot camp was able to continue with the partitioning.

Unfortunately, and I now believe higher powers are against us, the USB drive we are using can not be booted, I'm unsure why, but I have requested he get hold of another one from a local friend and will try again once we are able.

Nov 24, 2015 2:09 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks for the heads up on the USB, I didn't know that Macs were also brand sensitive to USB drives but I have read elsewhere that SanDisk tend to be the most compatible. I believe in this instance the issue is because we're using a bootable SD card via card reader, under normal circumstances that shouldn't be a problem besides slower read/write times, but for some reason unknown to me it's not even recognized by the boot menu.

To be perfectly honest with you I have over 20yrs experience of PC systems and support but I have never dabbled with Macs until my friend asked about setting up boot camp, I can not honestly say it's been an enjoyable experience although I do appreciate the challenge it's presented. I just don't understand why it needs to be so complicated, or why there are so many hardware and software blocks in the way of users completing simple tasks like this, but I am determined to succeed!

windows 8.1 media driver is missing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.