Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac 4K uniformity problem

Hi,

I tested new iMac 21.5 4K with Retina two days and I noticed a problem with uniformity of backlight.

When I read a text from the screen I feel that some parts of text has a slight reddish tint of background and other parts has slight greenish tint. If I move my head these redish and green areas are moving also. If I show a white picture on the entire screen this problem also can be ovserved. The color difference of white baclground is very small and it's hard to see. But when I read text and scroll the page I can easily feel that background has different tints. It's really annouying problem.

I wanted to buy new iMac 4K and now I don't know - is this problem common for all iMac 4K or only for certain Macs.

I've read that new iMac 4K has a new backlight with a set of LED with red and green luminophore. Probably here is the problem? A poor mixing of light from different LEDs.

This problem don't happen with old iMac 21.5 or my Macbook 12 which have traditional backlight with LED with yellow luminophore.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), iMac 21.5 4K

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 3:54 AM

7 replies

Jan 13, 2016 6:04 AM in response to Igor Kokarev

Hello,

Today I finally purchased new iMac 21.5 4K Retina.

I visited a shop and tested 2 iMacs. First one had same problem - slight greenish and redish areas on the white screen. And the second iMac had perfect uniformity of the backlight, so I purchased this one.

P.S. Apple, please test more carefully backlight on iMacs 4K on the factory.

iMac 4K uniformity problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.