Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G&D StarSign Crypto USB Token under OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Hello, Fellas!

I believe some of you could take advantage of this simple walkthrough procedure, when it comes to setting up that little tricky piece of security token. When i tried to install the necessary app and the driver so the token could work, OS X El Capitan tells me that both are not compatible with that OS X version. The problem is that El Capitan comes with SIP, also known as System Integrity Protection, which does not allow the installers to write the necessary files under the /usr/local/lib/ directory, in order to not grant permission to some malicious manipulation of the system structure files. But there's a way to all of you, like me, whose might need to use the token under El Capitan, and it comes by disabling the SIP.

PS.: I strictly do not recommend this procedure for those who don't know what are doing! Just do it if you really need access to some of those SIP denied permission directories! And remember... Do it at your own risk! I'm not responsible for anything if you do this procedure!

So, warnings aside, let's start the tricky procedure and disable the SIP:

1. Restart your Mac;

2. During the boot, press the key combination Command-R (⌘R) until the progress bar shows up;

2.1. The system will now enter Recovery Mode;

3. Select Utilities;

4. Now select Terminal;

5. Once in terminal, type this little command line: csrutil disable;

5.1. This command line will disable the SIP;

6. Close the the Terminal window and restart your Mac

7. Now you will be able to install all the necessary stuff you need to use your token.

At last, do not enable SIP again, because this enabling procedure will make your token not to work anymore!

Best regards, fellas!

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Mid-2012

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 5:24 AM

3 replies

Nov 22, 2015 6:17 AM in response to Victor-RJ

Victor-RJ wrote:

…which does not allow the installers to write the necessary files under the /usr/local/lib/ directory,

/usr/ is protected, but /usr/local/ is not protected.

You should take a look here: http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/193368/what-is-the-rootless-feature-in- el-capitan-really

Run

ls -lO /usr

in Terminal and you'll see that /usr/local is neither restricted nor protected.

Whatever that card reader is trying to install had nothing to do with /usr/local/lib. I imagine some other part was installed in another protected directory.

G&D StarSign Crypto USB Token under OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.