Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does need iphoto 9.6.1. much more time to load previews from my camera then older versions of iphoto? Do you know?

iphoto in Mavericks loaded previews from my camera very fast. I updatet to El Capitan und iphoto version 9.6.1. and the download of previews of pictures of my camera (USB1) need much more time then before (more then 30 seconds per image). I tried it today with ubuntu and the previews load very fast like with iphoto in Mavericks. So the problem is with iphoto 9.6.1.

Do you know what the problem is and how I can solve it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 7:09 AM

4 replies

Nov 22, 2015 10:18 AM in response to brauseschwein

As a test launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new, test library. Try importing into that library to see if the same problem persists. Does it? This will tell us if the problem is due to the current library or is more related to the application.

Also log into another user account on your Mac, created a new, test library and repeat the test. Same results? This is to determine if the problem is limited to your account or is system wide.

Report back with the results.

User uploaded file

Nov 23, 2015 12:00 PM in response to Old Toad

Try the following:

1 - delete the iPhoto preference file, com.apple.iPhoto.plist, that resides in your

User/Home/Library/ Preferences folder.

2 - delete the contents the following folder: User/Library/Containers/com.apple.iPhoto

User uploaded file

3 - reboot, launch iPhoto and try again.

NOTE: For Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan go to your Home folder and use the View ➙ Show View Options menu to bring the this window:

User uploaded file

where you can check the Show Library Folder checkbox.

Nov 24, 2015 12:32 PM in response to Old Toad

I followed your order, but it failed.

I believe there is no problem with the library of iphoto, because the problem seems just to be the download of previews from the camera. I could imagine iphoto in former version was fast (and other programs are fast) because iphoto did not load the hole pictures for previews but only parts of them. And this functionality is missing in current version. Or am I wrong? Do you have another idea? Is there a configuration file where I can set an option how many pixels iphoto are supposed to read out for previews?

Why does need iphoto 9.6.1. much more time to load previews from my camera then older versions of iphoto? Do you know?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.