Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

During installation of window 7 mac's partition erased.

When I am installing windows 7 on my mac through CD.

During windows 7's partition.

It shows several of partitions

BLAH blah blah.

I took my mac's partition as windows partition.

and erased it.

Now when I restarted my mac it doesn't show any Mac HD and no Disk Utility.

Now it doesn't starts my Mac OS.

Now tell me what can I do.

Somebody please help me.

PLEASE

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 8:10 AM

11 replies

Nov 22, 2015 9:59 AM in response to Usman Muneer

Do a backup, preferable 2 separate ones on 2 drives. Boot to the Recovery Volume (command - R on a restart or hold down the option/alt key during a restart and select Recovery Volume). Run Disk Utility Verify/Repair Disk and Repair Permissions until you get no errors. Then re-install the OS.

OS X Recovery

OS X Recovery (2)

If that doesn't work, reformat the drive using Disk Utility/Erase Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then click the Option button and select GUID. Then re-install the OS.

Nov 23, 2015 9:10 AM in response to Usman Muneer

if you have a time machine backup you can restore from that from a recovery boot (methodology is in fatmacs post)

if you do not have a backup and you wiped your existing OS X partition without a backup you will need to reinstall OS X, then if you wish to proceed with installing Windows 7 it is highly suggested you backup before proceeding and pay close attention when proceeding with installing software that requires a separate partition.

Nov 23, 2015 9:27 AM in response to Usman Muneer

Usman Muneer wrote:

...it does not show any recovery disk at startup when I hold ALT key it only shows windows 7 which is also corrupt.

Now tell me next step.

Did you also try booting with Cmd+R held down at the chime? Since we don't know which Mac you've got, it's hard to tell what other boot options you might have (such as Internet Recovery or an Optical drive and OS X installer DVD's that might have come with it).

Nov 26, 2015 7:56 AM in response to Usman Muneer

Usman Muneer wrote:

...After resetting it.It shows me recovery disk to reinstall OS X.

In that case, reinstalling OS X should get your Mac running again. With the understanding that creating a new partition with a GUID partition table and formatting it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) would make anything currently on the drive unrecoverable, you might do that first, using Disk Utility. And also follow Eric Root's advice to Verify/Repair Disk.

Nov 29, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Usman Muneer

Usman Muneer wrote:

Ok I will try. but i don't have any iMac...

You do have an iMac (though you still haven't told us which one) and you have an optical drive ("When I am installing windows 7 on my mac through CD"). All but the last iMac with an optical drive came with OS X installers on DVD's and if you've still got them, you can boot from them, format the HD using Disk Utility which is also on the DVD, and install an OS from which you can go back to El Capitan by downloading it again.

Nov 30, 2015 9:03 AM in response to Usman Muneer

Usman Muneer wrote:

Man I already downloaded the EI CAPITAN on windows but when I run it through bootable Usb drive.

After Mac logo it shows prohibited sign.

. NOW WHAT

Since the only legitimate source to download El Capitan is via the App Store, I'd advise not trusting any source you can use on Windows to get the installer, which may be what the prohibited sign is trying to tell you. However, since you have the bootable USB drive, once you boot from it, even the most minimal OS X install should have Disk Utility on it and you can repartition your HD using that.

BTW, what version of OS X is on the bootable USB drive?

During installation of window 7 mac's partition erased.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.