Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Document annotation workflow - tips?

Hi,

I am trying to figure out a good document/annotation workflow but have yet to find the solution. Here's what I would like to do:

• Open and read PDFs, PowerPoint and Word documents
  • Annotate the documents with Apple Pencil
  • Save the documents in one single place
  • Open the annotated documents, potentially add more annotations and save

Any idea how to accomplish this? I have a range of apps, including Microsoft Office apps iAnnotate, iBooks etc, But the biggest issue is to find one place where I could store it all without loads of workarounds (i typically don't remember whether they are word doc, PPT or PDFs when it is time to open the file and recall ny notes).

Best,

Fredrik

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 8:56 AM

4 replies

Nov 22, 2015 12:04 PM in response to fredrikb81

GoodReader

-- With GoodReader on your iPad/iPhone, you can read virtually anything, anywhere: books, movies, maps, pictures.

-- sync with Dropbox, OneDrive, SugarSync and any WebDAV, AFP, SMB, FTP or SFTP server

-- The types of annotations that can be created and edited in GoodReader include typewriter text boxes, popup comments ("sticky notes"), text highlights, freehand drawings, lines, arrows, rectangles, ovals, cloudy shapes, text underlines, strikeouts, text insertion marks.

GoodReader not only supports massive PDF and TXT files, but also handles the most popular file types:

• MS Office - .doc, .ppt., .xls
  • iWork
  • HTML and Safari webarchives
  • High resolution images
  • ZIP and RAR archives
  • Even audio and video!

http://www.goodiware.com/

Nov 23, 2015 1:59 AM in response to fredrikb81

I Find it really odd that there is no good solution to this. I get emailed documents in various formats for meetings (word, ppt, excel, pdf) and I need a workflow where i can pick these up, make some notes on them and then save them locally so that i can access them at the meeting. No cloud storage as it is highly confodential material.

Seems like there is no way to do this? Is the best option maybe going for a good pdf annotatiom software, and then do the rest in the office apps?

Converting all documents to pdf would also do the trick but there seems to be no simple way of doing this either? The office applications does not allow for PDF export, there is no "print to pdf"-solution available? Wow, they are really making hard to use the ipad for work, even if uou have no need of actually producing stuff on it..

Am I missing something?

Nov 23, 2015 12:25 PM in response to fredrikb81

There are other all-in-one apps around.

FileExplorer

at least you will have one place to look, if you forget what type of file they are. I read that Apple has/will implement some more app to app communications. Perhaps this will improve.

For the files the app doesn't display well, you can export them to another app.

tap on export icon

tap on open in another app

tap on app.

It opens in the other app. Great.

downside. every time you open in the other app. the file is copied to the other app. you need to close out the file. need to select delete.

Maybe you want to get MS Office on your ipad.

R

Document annotation workflow - tips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.