Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert to Apple Lossless using different bitrates?

I occasionally use the "convert to..." function in iTunes 12 to convert wav files to apple lossless. Previously this has resulted in 44.1khz files which my Sonos system can play without any problem. Yesterday, however, it converted files at 96khz, which Sonos recognises but plays back incorrectly - they sound as if they are being played at half speed (or perhaps even less).

There doesn't appear to be any way to change the sample rate in iTunes so does anyone know why this might have happened and if there's any way to go back to 44.1khz sampling?

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 8:59 AM

8 replies

Nov 22, 2015 11:15 AM in response to hhgttg27

hhgttg27 wrote:

Since conversion from WAV to ALAC only puts a "wrapper" around PCM audio data, without altering content, I would assume that the source WAV files were encoded at 96khz.

HH,

That statement is true for AIFF (which is a wrapper around PCM audio), but is not true for ALAC. ALAC, like FLAC, actually does a lossless compression, which is why it results in noticeably smaller files.

Nov 22, 2015 2:12 PM in response to ainsley001

Ainsley and HH,

It is quite unlikely that the Apple Lossless "Automatic" setting causes a change of sample rate. Therefore, if you are getting 96 kHz ALAC, you are probably starting with 96 kHz WAVs.

As a workaround, use iTunes to create 44.1 kHz WAV versions. This can be accomplished via the WAV "Custom" settings in Import Preferences (see below). Then convert those to Apple Lossless.

User uploaded file

Nov 23, 2015 7:12 PM in response to ainsley001

Interesting that the ALAC conversion keeps the same bit-rate, though.

It doesn't keep the same bitrate. The bitrate should be quite a bit less, or else there would be no point to Apple Lossless! However, it does keep the same sample rate, unless you do something to re-sample the audio, as you did when you forced it using the WAV custom settings.

Thanks for the responses. I figured out that the original files were indeed at 96khz so i used Ed2345's method and converted to wavs.

You are welcome. Glad it worked out.

Convert to Apple Lossless using different bitrates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.