Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to backup apps and app data iOS 9.1?

I am currently using iPhone 6-64 GB running iOS 9.1. I want to reset my iPhone. I have an old backup of all my apps and app data saved on my computer. But since updating my phone to iOS 9 I haven't taken the backup. So when I started the backup it was only of like 9 GB against the normal 29 GB. No apps were backed up. Is it because of app thinning? If it is then is it possible to backup the app data? Ok I can handle to download the apps again but not to loose the app data. No. I have like a tons of progress done in my games. I can't lose it when I am resting my phone. I mean I have my Infinity Blade progress backed up. Is app thinning not backing up my app data or will it allow the itunes ? If my app data is not going to be backed up then is there any alternative for backing up the app data to restore it later?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.1

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 25, 2015 1:15 PM

Yes, a feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. Backups still include the app data. Hopefully Apple will make some changes to the way this works, but in the meantime you can download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. As long as you make sure all apps are present and updated in iTunes before attempting a restore there should be no loss of data. I can't confirm, but it seems a recent update means that all data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works.

tt2

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 25, 2015 1:15 PM in response to ashish96

Yes, a feature introduced with iOS 9 referred to as app thinning or app slicing allows each device to download only the code and resources needed by that device, resulting in smaller downloads and better use of storage on the device. As a consequence the device no longer holds the universal version of the app that could be installed on any device so transferring apps is no longer supported. Backups still include the app data. Hopefully Apple will make some changes to the way this works, but in the meantime you can download past purchases from iTunes and/or enable automatic downloads of app purchases to make sure that iTunes always has the apps that you want on your device. As long as you make sure all apps are present and updated in iTunes before attempting a restore there should be no loss of data. I can't confirm, but it seems a recent update means that all data is restored and apps that are not in the library are queued for download from the iTunes Store over Wi-Fi, in a similar fashion to the way restore from iCloud works.

tt2

How to backup apps and app data iOS 9.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.