Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Odd FireWire problem

im am thinking this problem is something that will require terminal to fix, so I am asking it here. If this isn't the best place to ask please advise where would be.

i Have a early 2009 iMac running the latest and fully updated OSX. I recently swapped out a FireWire external hard drive to get some info off of it. When I hooked the original hard drive back up, neither it, nor another hard drive on the Firewire bus would mount. System profiler sees the drives, but not the volumes on them. Disk Utility doesn't see them at all. If I restart the computer with the drives hooked up it gets to the progress bar on the Apple Logo screen and never gets past that. The progress bar proceeded about 60% normally, then slows to a major crawl. It takes about 15 minutes to proceed from there to the end, but hangs at the end forever, it never progresses to the login screen. I've tried a lot of different things, reset the SMC, PRAM, and even reinstalled the OS by booting to the recovery volume. Interestingly I installed El Capitan on an external USB drive, which starts the computer fine and mounts the FireWire drives without any issues. From there I ran disk utility on them and everything seems fine, but they still hang the computer on startup from my usual hard drive. Since everything works fine with booting from another install of the OS on an external drive I assume that fully rules out any hardware issue. But I have no idea where to start to resolve this with my usual OS and disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (And no, I won't do a clean install, I have too much stuff. I'd rather start fresh from a new 27inch Retina if that's the case)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 11:45 AM

4 replies

Nov 23, 2015 2:41 PM in response to Keith Barkley

TThanks for your reply Keith. I had done that, but it didn't do anything. Where I am at now is I started the computer with the FireWire cable disconnected. It starts normally. Then I opened Console and watched the system log while I plugged the FireWire cable in. It spits up an entry that says something to the effect that the certificate for "com.seagate.driver.PowerLeafDriver_10_4" is invalid and it will not load. Assuming that's a file, I have been searching for it but haven't found it yet.

Nov 24, 2015 5:17 PM in response to Elevator Guy

AS a follow up, when the computer is booted and running normally, I open Console and watch the entries as I plug in the Firewire cable. Here's what I get

11/24/15 2:34:28.461 PM com.apple.kextd[49]: Untrusted kexts are not allowed

11/24/15 2:34:28.462 PM com.apple.kextd[49]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_4, will not load

11/24/15 2:34:28.479 PM kextd[49]: SecStaticCode: verification failed (trust result 5, error -2147409622)

11/24/15 2:34:28.581 PM com.apple.kextd[49]: Untrusted kexts are not allowed

11/24/15 2:34:28.581 PM com.apple.kextd[49]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_4, will not load

11/24/15 2:34:28.648 PM kextd[49]: SecStaticCode: verification failed (trust result 5, error -2147409622)

11/24/15 2:34:28.763 PM com.apple.kextd[49]: Untrusted kexts are not allowed

11/24/15 2:34:28.763 PM com.apple.kextd[49]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_5, will not load

11/24/15 2:34:29.039 PM kextd[49]: SecStaticCode: verification failed (trust result 5, error -2147409622)

11/24/15 2:34:29.243 PM com.apple.kextd[49]: Untrusted kexts are not allowed

11/24/15 2:34:29.243 PM com.apple.kextd[49]: ERROR: invalid signature for com.seagate.driver.PowSecDriverCore, will not load

SInce these here drives mount when booted on a copy of the OS installed on another hard drive I assume there is some plist that is storing the trust info. Can anyone help with where that or the kext files may be, I can't find them.

Odd FireWire problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.