Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My account is missing from the the login screen and the users and groups system preferences. How do I recover?

My account is missing from the the login screen and the users and groups system preferences.

Sequence of events:

1. From my desktop, chose the "Login Window..." option from the user menu.

2. Later that day, attempted to login to my account but the password was rejected.

3. Checked to ensure that caps lock was off and tried password two more times but it was rejected.

4. Choose the "Restart" option from the login screen.

5. Was prompted to enter the admin password, since I was still logged-on to my account.

6. Admin password was accepted and my iMac was restarted.

7. When the login screen was displayed my account was no longer displayed.

8. Logged-in as admin and went to the users & groups preferences. My account was not displayed there either.

9. Checked the users folder on the iMac hard drive. All of my folders appear to be intact.

How do I recover?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 12:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 2:55 PM

Have you tried to recreate the account with the same name and password?

5 replies

Nov 22, 2015 5:26 PM in response to unisoft01

Have you turned on FileVault ? If you have, you can enable your account by doing the following:

• Open System Preferences
  • Click on Privacy & Security.
  • Click on the FileVault tab.

There should be an Enable users... button showing in the FileVault preference pane.

Click it and you should be given the opportunity to enable the account by providing the account's password.

On restart, the missing account should now appear at the login screen.

My account is missing from the the login screen and the users and groups system preferences. How do I recover?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.