Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Pro 2015 fans constantly running

So I got a new Mac Book Pro in July, and it runs very hot, and the fans are on constantly often up to 6,000 rpm with just Safari and Finder open. They sometimes even run loudly when the machine is idle.

I've compared it to an older machine and also my work machine, both Mac Book Pros and much less powerful. Using iStat menus, and the new machine seems to be working a lot harder, the other two don't seem to break into a sweat, even with Photoshop and various videos streaming.

It also get extremely hot, even if I only have Safari or my emails open. It will run with the hard drive at 80 - 100 degrees and fans at 4,000 - 6,000 rpm.

Compared to other machines that have lots of applications and Photoshop open and run at 40 degrees and the fans at 2,000 rpm.

Watching a film is not really possible as the fan runs loudly for the entire duration.

I've spent hours trouble shooting, and doing fresh installs, upgrading the operating system, testing performance on different disc partitions.

Apple have had it in for repair twice and they have found no problem, and tell me everything is work correctly.

Is it normal for the latest Mac books to run so hot? Has anyone else had this problem or has any idea what causes it?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 1:27 PM

Reset the SMC:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

Open the Activity Monitor and click on the CPU tab. What is using CPU and how much? High CPU usage generates heat and cause high fan spped

How high are the temps? Posting a screen shot from the temp/fan speed app would be useful.

4 replies

Mac Book Pro 2015 fans constantly running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.