Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony A7r 2. RAW conversion in Aperture for 18.6 Mp RAW.

I have new Sony A7r 2. It has RAW conversion in Aperture for full 43 MP images.But I also shoot with my 18-200 E lens which produces an 18.6 Mp RAW. Which Aperture does not recognize. (Capture One can translate, but migrating the result to Aperture is a pain) Has anyone found the same problem any a work around suggestions please?

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 2:05 PM

4 replies

Nov 23, 2015 8:07 AM in response to Ruislip

How does the lens set the size of the RAW?

Generally, Apple only supports a limited number of RAW formats a given camera can produce. Switch back to the 43 MP raws and things should be fine. Otherwise if this is a reduced frame lens on a FF camera and the camera is automagically limiting the raw size, you will have to send feedback to Apple to request support, but don't hold your breath.

You might see if there is a camera setting that will let you override this "feature".

Nov 23, 2015 8:58 AM in response to Keith Barkley

Thanks Kieth for your thoughtful response. There is no current FE lens with the 18 to 200 ability. An E mount Zoom that is surprisingly sharp, that I use lot.

The A7r cameras crop down because the lens vignettes in full frame mode. You can over ride - but then the image looks like a view through a telescope.

Strangely - my A7r (1st generation) will translate RAW files in Aperture at both large and small MP sizes. Only the newer A7r 2 seems to translate in Aperture in large 43mp only. Stating the smaller 18.6 RAW is not recognizable.

I am still clinging to Aperture - it is like I have learned a language and totally do not want to give it up. So I am now using the free Sony version of Capture One to import RAW. And then migrating the results to Aperture. A major work flow hiccup.

Nov 23, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Ruislip

Ruislip wrote:

Thanks Kieth for your thoughtful response. There is no current FE lens with the 18 to 200 ability. An E mount Zoom that is surprisingly sharp, that I use lot.

The A7r cameras crop down because the lens vignettes in full frame mode. You can over ride - but then the image looks like a view through a telescope.

OK, so use the override and crop. I am sure all the pixels are there - it just adds a black border.

Sony A7r 2. RAW conversion in Aperture for 18.6 Mp RAW.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.