Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I re-download missing ios apps?

I see in my iTunes list of ios apps that some are missing and cannot be found. I went to the App Store to look for some of the apps, and each app's window advises me that the app has been "Downloaded." Well, they were there once, but they are not in the files now. (I did change the Mac that I sync to, but I brought over all the old files.) There appears to be no way to re-download them. If I download them straight to the devices, they won't sync back to the Mac, so they will still be missing. This can't be the way it should work.

Mac Mini, 10.10.4, 2.6GHz, Intel Core i5, 8GB, 4TB ext drive
iTunes 12.3.1.23

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MH

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 11:52 AM

9 replies

Nov 23, 2015 12:07 PM in response to DavidMalin

Technology advances faster and faster. You say changes are "far too often". That is why some people don't accept every software upgrade - an approach with which I strongly disagree when talking about a reliable vendor like Apple.

Changes can be often and small, or seldom and huge. I believe the former is much better.

Enjoy your Apple gear.

Nov 23, 2015 1:09 PM in response to sberman

I can't disagree! Overall, of course iTunes, and Macs in general, are tons better than when I bought my first Mac (a used Mac Plus) in 1991.

But I wonder if you would agree, for instance, that it was a step down when iTunes stopped allowing you to have two windows open. I used to look at one window that showed all my (say) Elton John songs. In another window, I would have the Apple Store page showing all of his songs. I could look back and forth and see what gaps I had, what songs I wanted to buy. Now I have to shift back and forth, and unless you can tell me there's a better way, I have to re-open each window from its parent every time. Find Elton John songs I own, then search again for Elton in the Store, then go back and search again for my own songs. Doesn't Apple want to sell more songs? Sure they do. Then why did they make it more difficult for me to find stuff to buy? And guess what happens? Mostly I just don't bother. Sorry, Apple!

Nov 23, 2015 3:27 PM in response to DavidMalin

Personally, I don't use two windows open at the same time. I concentrate on one window, finish my business there, and then open another.

But it sounds like the new Split View feature of OS X El Capitan may allow what you used to be able to accomplish another way. Split View is described here:

http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/

OS X El Capitan: Focus on apps in full screen or Split View

Nov 25, 2015 7:10 AM in response to sberman

Hi, thanks for your reply. Sorry for the delay. It's not for lack of interest!

I don't generally like two windows open either, though occasionally in writing or publishing projects, it is very handy. But my last message's problem was based on my need to have two iTunes windows to be open, to compare one screen's contents with another window in the same app. If it's not easy for me to buy more songs by comparing what I have to what's available, I don't generally bother.

El Capitan's split screen implies that it is for two different apps to be open at once, so that is not a solution.

Another example of the annoying removal of a feature is the absence of Secure Empty Trash in El Capitan. I know there is a workaround, but it's complicated; here again Apple has taken a perfectly useful feature and dumped it. This is crazy. I will have to go look for an App that accomplishes the same thing with just a click. It will probably cost me money. Why?

I miss the colored folders that go back several OS generations; I see them when I use my old G5. I miss them. They were colorful and easily recognizable; for a long time now, of course, I have a sea of gray folders and icons that don't have the zing for a pair eyes that have nearly 70 years on them.

I don't have any specific documentation, but I am seeing on many occasions over the last six months, a syncing error message in iTunes that states that iTunes was not able to complete the sync because there is not enough room on my iOS device, adding unhelpfully, something like, "769.3MB needed, 3.1 GB available." I will add that this particular Mac still has Yosemite on it, so maybe it's been fixed.

End of rant. Sorry, but I am tired of Apple's continuing to screw around with things that work fine just to make them fit some kind of evolving ideal about what things should look like and how sleek they should be.

Thank you for all your time.

David

Nov 25, 2015 7:22 AM in response to sberman

That is why some people don't accept every software upgrade - an approach with which I strongly disagree when talking about a reliable vendor like Apple.

I still use iTunes 7.5. 😉 Rock solid. Frankly pretty much every release after this was marketing promotion for the iTunes Store which I have never used. Yes, you have to use newer versions if you have i-devices but that is only because they made those i-devices so they required the newer versions, not because there's really radical changes in the basic sync actions.

How do I re-download missing ios apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.