Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I replaced my old airport express with a new one but it only blinks amber and can't connect to my home network.

I replaced my old airport express with a new one, but it only blinks amber and never "goes green". I also deleted my old

network name accidentally and can't reinstate it. Airport utility doesn't help with this problem.

Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 12:07 PM

11 replies

Nov 22, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Gaetano46

Do you have an ipad or iphone?? Download the airport utility for iOS from the apps store.. and use that.. It is far superior to the Mac version.

Tell us if that is out of the question..

Is your profile right.. you are using Lion?? Or if you upgraded (so called) to El Crapo.. then expect major wireless issues.. if possible you might need to use ethernet.. then again you probably have a mac without this most necessary port.. and you will need to buy a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter.. this is essential btw.. as Apple will lock you out of everything.. so if you are not able to access the airport you must use ethernet.

Nov 23, 2015 11:01 AM in response to Gaetano46

Suggest that you start over and go through the process again.

Power up the Express for a minute or two, then hold in the reset button on the back of the Express for 7 to 8 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Follow the instructions in the AirPort Express Setup Guide on page 14.

Click the WiFi icon at the too of your Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click directly on AirPort Express

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" running.

Click on the Other Options button

Click the Add to an Existing Network option

Click Next and follow the prompts

If you are still having difficulty, tell us the steps that you have performed and where you are getting stuck.

Nov 23, 2015 11:12 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks, Bob: You got me further than I was, but I'm still having difficulties. I now have a solid green light on my

new Airport Express and my new network is set up, but I'm still not connected to the Net. It seems that "another device on the Network

is using my IP address". How can I change the address or delete the "other device"?

I noticed that my IP address is different than my Router and DNS address. Should they be the same?

Thanks again for your time,

Dan

Nov 23, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Gaetano46

Unfortunately, I cannot find anything useful with the information that has been provided. Was hoping to get a model number in order to download an online guide for the modem.

If your Internet Service Provider furnished the modem to you, they might have a link for the setup guide or installation of the product. Post back that info if that might be the case.

Nov 23, 2015 3:17 PM in response to Gaetano46

I don't know if you are using Verizon service or not, but Verizon support says the following about the Westell 6100.......

In order to use 3rd party routers with your Westell 6100 modem, you must first change your Westell modem to bridge mode.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/highspeed/networking/setup/ questionsthree/123756.htm

I would assume that this would be true for any other provider that might be supplying this modem......but I cannot say for sure. You should check with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) to confirm.

Assuming that the bridge mode setting would be correct for your ISP as well, you will need to follow the instructions in the link above to change the Westell over to bridge mode operation.

Then, start over with the AriPort Express again by powering it up for a minute and holding in the reset button for 7-8 seconds, then releasing and allowing a full minute for the AirPort to restart.

Go though the setup again, except this time you will be asked to provide your PPPoE connection details. That would be your user name with your ISP (it might be your email address) and password during the setup.

I replaced my old airport express with a new one but it only blinks amber and can't connect to my home network.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.