Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What cable do I need for Thunderbolt to Firewire?

I have a late 2014 Mac Mini that will not start up. Never had a problem with my old Mini so I got lazy about backing it up - now I am trying to pull some files off of it using target disk mode before I restore the whole thing.

Which cable do I need to connect it to either my late 2006 Mac Mini with a firewire port or to my mid 2006 Powerbook with Firewire 400 and 800 ports? I always get mixed up and buy adaptors that have the wrong male/female ends. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 2:43 PM

4 replies

Nov 27, 2015 10:51 PM in response to KristiAndEpsonDon'tMix

So I spent $40 bucks on cables and ran into an unexpected problem when I started up in Target disk mode. I received a message that I had to upgrade my old computer to 10.7 before I can use my new computer as a target disk. I have Yosemite on my new Mac but only 10.6.8 on both my old laptop and old Mini. OS 10.7 requires 2 gigs ram, which neither of my old computers have, so I won't be able to upgrade them. Any ideas?

My computer is less than a year old and having irreparable disk issues when I am using the system diagnostic. Seems like it should be covered under warranty - should I just take it to the Apple store? I read somewhere that you should just get them to replace the hard disk if you have a disk error more than once.

What cable do I need for Thunderbolt to Firewire?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.