Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can a Windows tech do basic OS work?

I have an issue I've asked about and researched and am unable to solve after trying several suggestions. I'm at the point where instead of doing things I don't fully understand (tech nOOb) I'd rather just have a tech help me out. I live in Peru, South America, where Apple/Mac is a tiny minority. My wife's families computer guy is PC/Windows. He's helped me in the past with configuring my iPad when I had problems. The culture is such where if you ask someone for directions, they won't say "sorry, I can't help you," they'll instead give you made up directions. Don't want to risk this by asking someone to help me with OS X if they only know Windows, but since my problems are fairly basic (iTunes doesn't want to find my library after I copied to another Ext. HD) I'm hoping that the two operating systems are close enough that organizing/cleaning up some files/folders/paths would be simple enough for our family friend to handle. Just thought I'd ask as I don't want to create problems for myself. There is a store that specializes in fixing Macs but I'd rather leave my laptop, Time Capsule, and Ext. HD there if I can have someone I know and trust handle this.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 4:56 PM

4 replies

Nov 23, 2015 9:32 AM in response to ironchefchris

With the external drive attached, open iTunes/Preferences/Advanced which should show where iTunes thinks your iTunes/Library is located. Click Change and navigate to the Library location on the external drive, then select it, then Open.

To attempt to answer your question, if the person in familiar with the iTunes for Windows application, then they can probably help you.

Nov 23, 2015 11:33 AM in response to ironchefchris

Thanks for the reply. Changing the location of my library to the ext. drive is something I've already tried. A computer tech friend of mine suggested I stick with a Mac guy so I think I'm going to go the iPlace store (unofficial iStore) and see if I can talk someone there into doing a little off hours work for me. There's also one place in the big building with all the computer shops that specializes in Mac hardware so I'll try them to.

So frustrating having tried everything suggested at this (and other) forum(s) without success.

Can a Windows tech do basic OS work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.