Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto library vs Photos library (delete?)

Hello,

reading the support page regarding "double space" of Photos library ( Photos saves disk space by sharing images with your iPhoto or Aperture libraries - Apple Support)

I found they say this at the end:

When Finder reports the file size of your Photos library, it includes all your originals and previews. It may look like your remaining iPhoto or Aperture library is taking up twice the space on your hard drive, but it isn't—your images exist only in one location, even though you may have more than one photo library.

After you migrate your iPhoto or Aperture library to Photos, you might feel tempted to delete your original iPhoto or Aperture library. Because the migrated library takes little additional space, you don't need to delete the original library.

But actually I see two different libraries and each take 180gb!

What should I do? I delete the original one? I DONT NEED to delete or I have to save it?

Thanks so much

M

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 7.1

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 3:38 PM

1 reply

Nov 22, 2015 9:54 PM in response to MatteoB

But actually I see two different libraries and each take 180gb!

Read the article again. What it says is that you see two libraries each claiming 180 gigs, but it's the same 180 gigs.

So, delete the iPhoto Library, you won't get 180 gigs back. This is a intermediate phase. It allows you to use iPhoto or Photos as you prefer. Once you're happy that Photos is the way you want to go, then yes delete the iPhoto Library (or vice versa).

Iphoto library vs Photos library (delete?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.