Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

General wireless help!

Here's my dilema. I live in an apartment on the first floor of a house (not the basement) with the owner of the house on the second floor. Wireless/TV are included in our rent, so he gave us his wifi password to use his router, however the signal is pretty weak. I generally only use wireless for my Macbook Pro, Apple TV and iPads but since I can't have a wired connection, I need to have more devices running on wifi.

My question is: What can I buy or use to make the signal from upstairs stronger downstairs without having to connect something upstairs or change router settings? I don't think my landlord is very tech savvy so I want to do as little as possible.

Thanks!

Mac Pro (Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.4)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 4:57 PM

4 replies

Nov 22, 2015 5:44 PM in response to AFG034

The best would be to use ethernet.. but I understand that is not possible.. Sometimes EOP adapters work very well.. sometimes hardly or not at all.

I would try EOP route first if the owner agrees.. it is simply a little box you plug into the wall socket.. some can act as double adapters so the power for the router is taken from the same outlet.. (cannot use power boards). And then run ethernet cable to his router.

Downstairs you run your own router with EOP plugged into the wall and ethernet to WAN..

Buy from store that allows returns if it doesn't work.

If the owner is not happy or it doesn't work.. buy a wireless bridge..

The airport express can do this.. or any box that lists wireless bridge.. (meaning it takes a wireless signal and connects to ethernet).

Then you plug in an apple router..

You can also buy a wireless repeater.. but I do not believe they are a good option.. certainly bottom of my list.. however they are the cheapest and simplest solution. If it works for you then great.. A lot of TP-Link <$50 routers /WAP units can do both wireless bridge, wireless repeater so you can pick your poison.

Nov 22, 2015 6:54 PM in response to AFG034

AFG034 wrote:

I have an EOP I could try.

Yes, that would be great.. you can use it with the airport extreme.

I also have an AirPort Extreme base station. Would that work as a bridge?

No, apple routers will not do wireless bridge except to another wireless router.. the exception was the express.. however they are twice the price of the equivalent WAP from say TP-Link .. but if you can pick up one cheap then you can plug it into the WAN port of your Extreme.. that will work fine.

General wireless help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.