Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV: set default to Airplay speakers?

How do I set my Airplay surround sound speaker system as the default on Apple TV? Please read before you answer.

Since I'm using a projector, my front-facing 5.1 surround speakers have to be across the room at the wall on which I'm projecting, while my AppleTV is at the back of the room connected via HDMI to the projector. So my challenge is to send audio from Apple TV to the front of the room where the speakers reside. That's basically all I do with my surround system: watch movies, netflix etc on Apple TV. So I bought a new Airport Express and connected my 5.1 surround system is via optical audio in the back of the Airport Express. But after getting it all set up and working for a session, I find that now, every night I turn on Apple TV I have no sound. So I have to repeat these steps, every time: locate and open AppleTV preferences app, navigate to the Airplay speakers settings, wait for them all to load, choose the speakers to re-connect (re-assign) my Airplay speakers to Apple TV. The same speakers I assigned the night before, and the night before that.

After assigning speakers, the system sounds gorgeous. Until the next time I return to Apple TV.

Given my across-the-room challenge, and given I chose Airplay to accomplish it, how do I assign my speakers to Apple TV—by default or permanently?

AppleTV 2, tvOS 9.0.1

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2017 4:39 AM

I have the same problem and it's really annoying. On the old Apple TV I used the toslink output from the Apple TV for the sound but on the new Apple TV there is no audio output. So I set up the recommended solution for connecting to the sound system, i.e. connect the sound system to an Airport Express and stream the sound from the Apple TV to the Airport Express. It works like a charm but I have to reconnect it every time I want to use it, just like pdX describes. Really annoying!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2017 4:39 AM in response to pdX

I have the same problem and it's really annoying. On the old Apple TV I used the toslink output from the Apple TV for the sound but on the new Apple TV there is no audio output. So I set up the recommended solution for connecting to the sound system, i.e. connect the sound system to an Airport Express and stream the sound from the Apple TV to the Airport Express. It works like a charm but I have to reconnect it every time I want to use it, just like pdX describes. Really annoying!

Apple TV: set default to Airplay speakers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.