Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why doesn't my play-head return to the beginning of my songs?

Clicking the stop button from a stopped playback again returned the playhead to the beginning of my songs for years in Logic Pro 9 and in Logic Express I have frequently used. Since Mavericks clicking the stop button again places the playhead anywhere but back to the beginning. Only after clicking the stop button again

it might move the playhead to the beginning, but not always! This causes re-recording from other than the beginning which is confusing and causes time-consuming fixes for performers and engineers during a pro-session! This never happens on another of my hard drives in 10.6.8!

Any ideas what is happening here and how to fix this? Thank you for your time and patience.

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 6 GB RAM

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 5:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 8:31 AM

Never seen this happen before, and have never seen the playhead on any version automatically jump back to the start of the project timeline. Maybe this can help.

http://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.2/#/lgcpc2e497bd

6 replies

Nov 23, 2015 8:31 AM in response to BenB

Thanks BenB.

Ever since I started using first Logic Express then Logic Pro, during either playback or record clicking the stop button first stops either playback or record. Clicking the stop button again put the playhead back to the beginning in system 10.6.8 which I still use on one of my hard drives! Trying to use Logic Pro 9.1.8 in system 10.9.5 Mavericks on a second hard drive, clicking the stop button one or more times moves the playhead to different positions in the song every time!!

I reinstalled Logic Pro 9 to fix this, but no change.

Thank you for your link about different stop button functions. Reading every choice I think none of them will fix my problem, but I will take the time to test each one to see if it does what I used to have. I will post back then.

Nov 24, 2015 8:41 AM in response to BenB

Hi

BenB wrote:

Never seen this happen before, and have never seen the playhead on any version automatically jump back to the start of the project timeline.

Worrying...

The default behaviour of LP9 and LPX is

A) Click stop stops the Playhead

B) Click Stop again sends Playhead to the beginning ( unless Cycle mode is on, when the second Stop sends the Playhead to the start of the cycle, and another Stop sends the Playhead to the beginning).

C) This second behaviour is also true if there is a Marquee selection: second Stop returns to start of Marquee selection, third Stop goes to the beginning.

If Cycle or Marquee selection present, Play always starts from the Cycle or the Marquee selection. Marquee takes precedence if both are present.

Other options are available by Control Clicking on the Stop button:

User uploaded file

CCT

Nov 23, 2015 2:28 PM in response to CCTM

Ah, the second click, yes, that works. I thought you meant it returned automatically with one click. I don't click those buttons ever, takes too much time. Space and Return keys are way faster. But I can't replicate your bug. Click Stop, it does turn into the Return To Start button, and works fine. I suggest you wait a few moments and see if it is just a lag.

Switch the dashboard to the Custom display, which shows CPU/HD usage. See if that gets excessive. My suspicion is you have a project that is straining the system, and it is in fact just a lag in performance.

Nov 24, 2015 9:00 AM in response to CCTM

Thank you to everybody responding to my question! (A broken water boiler, flood in my basement prevented me from responding timely)

BenB teaching me about the different stop functions, and CCTM explaining how the functions work.

On prior viewing I did not realize (scrolling lower) that "Jump between last locate position" was also selected on my 10.9.5 drive but not on

the 10.6.8 drive! Turning that extra function of fixed the different behavior and my problem!

Thank you so much.

Why doesn't my play-head return to the beginning of my songs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.