Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG External Blu-ray - Driver Fails

Issue: When I try to use my LG BE14NU40 with a new iMac17,1 (i7 / 4GHz / 8GB running 10.11.1) to play a DVD or burn a CD, the process will start and then within 10 to 15 seconds fails. The error message gives a code, but mainly it is saying that the device is not connected.

When I go to the System Preferences after the error message, the CD's and DVDs app is no longer available. I then have to reboot to get the CD's and DVD's app back.

A second LG DVD Writer (GP50NB40) that I use with my MacBook Pro Retina (MacBookPro10,1 running 10.11.1) has no problem with the iMac17,1.

Both LG drives have been working fine on the MacBook Pro for under a year, so this looks like a driver issue of some sorts with the iMac.

So the usual question - has anyone else noticed an issues like this with either LG External Blu-ray Writers, or other DVD external writers in general?

Thanks.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), iMac 17,1 i7 / 4GHz

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 7:35 PM

19 replies

Nov 23, 2015 6:54 AM in response to rkaufmann87

True... Blu-ray functionality is not part of OS X.

But the regular CD & DVD features do work fine on my MacBook Pro, like playing a DVD using DVD Player or burning CD in iTunes.

I pulled the DiscRecording.log from the Console:

iTunes: Burn started, Sun Nov 22 18:07:21 2015

iTunes: Burning to CD-R media with SAO strategy in HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01 with generic profile via USB.

iTunes: Requested burn speed was 4x, actual burn speed is 16x.

iTunes: Burn underrun protection is supported, and enabled.

iTunes: BD-RE BE14NU40: SCSITask 1373.239990 CDB: Write (10), block: 4294967146, count: 27 failed with service response = 1 (SERVICE_DELIVERY_OR_TARGET_FAILURE), status = 4 (DeviceNotPresent)

iTunes: Burn failed, Sun Nov 22 18:08:25 2015

iTunes: Burn error: 0x80020020 The disc drive is unavailable. It may have been disconnected.

Finder: Burn failed, Sun Nov 22 18:11:47 2015

Finder: Burn error: 0x80020020 The disc drive is unavailable. It may have been disconnected.

Finder: Burn started, Sun Nov 22 18:12:20 2015

Finder: Burning to CD-R media with SAO strategy in HL-DT-ST BD-RE BE14NU40 1.01 with generic profile via USB.

Finder: Requested burn speed was 4x, actual burn speed is 16x.

Finder: Burn underrun protection is supported, and enabled.

Finder: BD-RE BE14NU40: SCSITask 171.802322 CDB: Write (10), block: 4294967146, count: 32 failed with service response = 1 (SERVICE_DELIVERY_OR_TARGET_FAILURE), status = 4 (DeviceNotPresent)

Finder: Burn failed, Sun Nov 22 18:13:24 2015

Finder: Burn error: 0x80020020 The disc drive is unavailable. It may have been disconnected.

So this is what is happening with trying to burn a disk in iTunes or copy files to a CD.

Thanks,

Jay

Nov 23, 2015 7:56 AM in response to Nikon Fan

And, is there a way for you to make sure that it does NOT burn at 16x - the slower the burn speed, the fewer errors. Also, have you tried a burn app such as Roxio Toast as I've found that it's easier to control functions with it rather than the built in default settings (which I tried to adjust, but couldn't find a way to do so). Admittedly, have not tried to burn with Finder or iTunes ever since I got Toast several years ago. Since new Macs no longer have Superdrives, I'm wondering if they're stripped down the burn capabilities as they no longer offer a native way without the built in burner.

Mar 5, 2016 10:31 PM in response to sanderr2

Nikon fan, I have a very similar issue. Same drive, same iMac (except 16G). When ripping CDs the drive just vanishes, but only after I eject the disk. I had this drive on a windows machine with no issue before moving to my mac. The issue doesn't happen every time but mostly every time. I tried a USB2 cable I had but seemed to make little if any difference. Also tried different USB ports to no avail. The quick fix seems to be to unplug the USB cable and plug it back in. So far, that maintains connection until the next eject. I ordered a new USB3 cable becuase of all the advice to do so (seems to have helped some people). See: http://www.apple-art.com/Will-the-LG-BE14NU40-Blu-ray-burner-work-with-a-Mac_108 11753-4.html.

My gut feel is this player is designed for windos, not MAC, Check out the spec sheet: http://www.lg.com/us/burners-drives/lg-BE14NU40-external-blu-ray-dvd-drive

Notong that it worked fine on the Win7 machine. And that you can't eject the disk from the software (at least not that I have figured out. Eject seems to get translted as unmount. But this is all speculation on my part.

Not sure any of this helps but my $0.02.

Apr 3, 2016 10:56 PM in response to Nikon Fan

@ Nikon Fan, I'm glad to find someone else with the same issue, it's driving me crazy. I used to have no problem burning discs, It all started for me when I upgraded to El Capitan. Suddenly I get the errors you mentioned early on in a burn. I think it's either a problem with OSX, or a problem with my LG drive's firmware. There is an update for my firmware, but it requires Windows to install. Bummer. Anyway, the behavior is the same in Toast, Finder, or Adobe Encore. I just can't get these #$% discs to burn.

Also, @rkaufmann87 for the record, Apple is a participant in the Blu Ray specification, and Blu-ray discs burn, load and generally work fine in OSX, you just need to have certain software if you want to use them to watch movies. I've been burning BDs for years now. This is the first time since 2010 I've had a problem.

Apr 3, 2016 11:14 PM in response to moosefuel

Apple is a participant in the Blu Ray specification

Can you link to an article stating that? Sony owns the license; last I heard they had not allowed Apple use of it; hence you need third party software and hardware to burn or play them. Sony and a couple of others established a "ond-stop" licensing agency:

http://www.one-blue.com/about/

Apple is not on the list:

http://www.one-blue.com/licensees/

Apr 5, 2016 6:45 AM in response to babowa

Yikes, babowa, you're asking me to find something I read around 2008 when Blu-ray was new. I know they were involved very early on. I know that Apple decided it wouldn't include the drives in their computers, but I have been using Disk Utility and Finder to burn Blu-Rays for years now (they use a similar UDF format to DVDs). I used to back up my files to them and store them on my shelf before hard drives were so cheap. For work I often create 20GB .iso Blu-ray disc images using Adobe Encore and then use Disk Utility or Finder to burn them later. Apple has support, but disk burning in general seems to be broken in El Capitan on newer machines. It still works fine on my old Macbook Pro (2010, El Capitan), but the newer one (2013 El Capitan) can't seem to handle it. Maybe it has to do with the awful changes they made to Disk Utility.

I'm not talking about playing movies from the discs or burning BDs with menus and stuff (like in iDVD), for that you need third party software, but the drives themselves work. They are supported by the OS. If I insert a blank Blu-Ray the finder asks me what I want to do with it, I can add files just like if I insert a DVD in my external drive.

Apr 5, 2016 7:20 AM in response to moosefuel

moosefuel wrote:

Also, @rkaufmann87 for the record, Apple is a participant in the Blu Ray specification, and Blu-ray discs burn, load and generally work fine in OSX, you just need to have certain software if you want to use them to watch movies. I've been burning BDs for years now. This is the first time since 2010 I've had a problem.

I will say it again moosefule, OS X does not and never has supported Blue Ray. While there are third party solutions that get it to work these must be kept up-to-date when a user upgrades OS X. When a new release of OS X is introduced it's is the users responsibility to check their third party apps to ensure they work with the new version of OS X. When a user has an app that supports Blue Ray that they want to run on the new version of OS X, they need to check with the developer of that app first and see if their app is supported on that new version of OS X. Apple comes out with Beta versions of OS X well before that version is released to the general public, this gives the developers plenty of time to test or upgrade their app when needed. If a developers chooses not do to this and a user upgrades OS X and then finds out their app no longer functions sometimes they can think that is an Apple issue, nothing could be further from the truth.

If you can provide Apple articles that indicate Apple is a participant in Blue Ray and natively supports Blue Ray it in OS X, I will eat my hat however I don't believe such a thing exists.

Apr 5, 2016 11:50 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I hope you have a tasty hat rkaufmann87! Here's two screenshots which should explain it all.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I hope the text is not too small, but you can clearly see the Blu-Ray drive supports writing to BD-R and BD-RE discs. Also, I inserted the Star Wars "A New Hope" Blu-Ray so that you can see that it loads. Note that in the "information" window it lists the disk as 48.7 GB. That's a dual-layer Blu-ray, baby.

Apr 5, 2016 12:01 PM in response to moosefuel

Not so quick my friend! What third party app do you use to get Blue Ray Support? I will post a screen shot of my system that does not include Blue Ray support because I don't have any Blue Ray apps installed. My point is you are not using native OS X support, you are using additional third party software in order to get the coverage. This is NOT native to OS X.

Apr 5, 2016 12:22 PM in response to rkaufmann87

I thought you might say that, but the drive works fine on my wife's Macbook Air, which I don't use at all, and don't have any of my own software installed on. It also works on my old Macbook Pro, my old iMac 27" before I sold it, and it even worked with my old iMac 24" many moons ago. It worked before I installed Adobe CS6, when I was using Final Cut 7 (which doesn't support Blu-Ray), it worked before I installed Final Cut Pro X. I never had to install any drivers or anything, and in fact you can see that it just has "Generic Drive Support." It's built into the OS. Originally I just used it to back-up files.

If I really can't make you a believer, you're just going to have to try it for yourself. I'd love to see that screen-shot.

Apr 5, 2016 1:42 PM in response to moosefuel

You will never make me a believer - why? Because it simply is not built in to OS X. I'll start off with this:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2042431/watch-and-rip-blu-ray-movies-on-your-mac .html

2. do a search on Apple support for bluray support - there will be NO hits.

3. here is a screenshot of my iMac disc burning without an external drive attached (I do not have a built in Superdrive):

User uploaded file

4. Here is a screenshot of the same iMac with my external attached:

User uploaded file

This is a burner from OWC. Note that it does NOT include any BR burn/play capabilities (it actually looks pretty much like yours). On the other hand, look at this screenshot showing a bluray burner from OWC with the BR showing:

User uploaded file

This will be my last post regarding this - Mac OS X does not have BR capabilities built in and never will as they have now turned away from any writeable media and are cloud-centric while no longer including drives in their Macs.

LG External Blu-ray - Driver Fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.