Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connection Problem Between Mac Pro and Monitor

I am trying to connect a Mac Pro (2009) desktop computer to a new monitor (LG 34UC97).

Both the monitor and computer have Thunderbolt inputs, so I tried connecting them with a Thunderbolt cable.

However, no signal is received to the monitor a Thunderbolt cable.

Since the Mac Pro also has a DVI input, I also tried connecting the computer to the monitor with a DVI cable on

one end and a DVI to Thunderbolt input adapter on the other end of the cable. This cable also does not produce a signal to the monitor.

Thanks for any tips on how to connect the older Mac Pro (2009) to the new monitor noted above.

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.1), Mac Pro (2009)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 6:09 PM

1 reply

Nov 22, 2015 6:57 PM in response to schwine1

Thunderbolt ports on a computer, such as the Mac Pro late 2013 or later, provide Mini DisplayPort as a subset. a ThunderBolt cable will only provide a picture on another Thunderbolt device.

The Mac Pro 2009 does not have a ThunderBolt port, ONLY Mini DisplayPort, and all but a few displays have a Mini DisplayPort, not a ThunderBolt port.

Connection Problem Between Mac Pro and Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.