Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random frame glitches on exports, no matter what setting I use it seems...

Hi guys, lately I have been shooting video on my Canon 6D. I have imported it into FCP7, matched the video settings to the sequence, edited without problems but then when I export, it seems no matter what format I export in, I get these broken lines on random frames (I call them glitches). It just feels as if the video is always broken.

The glitches appear on the same frames each time I play the same file back but if I re-export the file, they might appear in a different place.

Sometimes videos I export play fine but rarely.

When I transfer the files to other machines, I still get the same glitches.

My editing machine (mac pro) is getting fairly old now (about 6/7 years) and I've had some services lately due to a couple of other issues but it's working fine in all other areas, so I'm wondering what this problem might be caused by?

Any advice is much appreciated, see the image attached for an example of the glitch. Thanks.

User uploaded file

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), MacPro 3,1 Serial: CK807259XYL

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 28, 2015 12:52 AM

I will hazard a guess to say that you didn't convert the footage from the camera to ProRes 422 first...before you imported into FCP. Am I right? Because while FCP 7 APPEARS to work with that format...it really doesn't. Mainly when you render or export. Glitches, sync issues are the most common problems.

You can try a quick fix...go into the Sequence Settings and change the render codec to ProRes 422...render everything, and then export.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 28, 2015 12:52 AM in response to alexfromwalthamstow

I will hazard a guess to say that you didn't convert the footage from the camera to ProRes 422 first...before you imported into FCP. Am I right? Because while FCP 7 APPEARS to work with that format...it really doesn't. Mainly when you render or export. Glitches, sync issues are the most common problems.

You can try a quick fix...go into the Sequence Settings and change the render codec to ProRes 422...render everything, and then export.

Nov 23, 2015 3:55 AM in response to Shane Ross

I actually recently had a general error issue with footage direct from my 6D, so for safety, I've always exported the footage to HDV before using it in final cut. For me, that seemed to work most reliably. I think I tried ProRes before and had some issues.

I've now done as you suggested and that seems to have worked, thanks!

The only problem is exporting ProRes files are so big, I need this 7 minute video to be under 2gb.

In future I will export my footage to ProRes rather than HDV and see how that goes.

General errors terrify me, so I tend to work with what feels safe at the time! I think it's because my edit suite is getting old now, starting to have issues.

It might be time to upgrade.

Thanks for your advice. Any other comments on the above would be really useful.

Nov 28, 2015 12:54 AM in response to alexfromwalthamstow

HDV is almost the worse thing you can convert to. First off, you are losing resolution by going from full raster 1920x1080 to anamorphic 1440x1080 (HDV doesn't do full raster, only anamorphic). Second, you are going from a full frame format to a GOP format (3 real frames and then a Group of Pictures that "guess" at the other frames). The codec has a lower data rate than ProRes because it's more compressed, a lot more information is tossed out. Take that as you may.

Yes, ProRes files are larger, because they are better quality, 10-bit, full raster. There are lighter versions, like ProRes LT. As for exporting...you export the ProRes master as your MASTER file...and then from there compress to H.264 for smaller size. It's ALWAYS good to have a good, high quality master to archive, and then have compressed versions.

Nov 28, 2015 12:55 AM in response to alexfromwalthamstow

Hi guys. really helpful responses, thanks so much!

A few months ago I had this general error issue whilst using ProRes and it was so annoying, because I'd done loads of editing and lost it all!

Hence why I've been changing my formats but yeah it seems I've been losing quality that way.

Anyway, this was all part of a 36 hour documentary making competition, so it's all learning!!!

Thanks!!!!

Random frame glitches on exports, no matter what setting I use it seems...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.