Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since updating to Pages 5.6.1 I can no longer open Pages files.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2011)

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 8:10 PM

8 replies

Nov 23, 2015 6:06 AM in response to sandytip

Well, that is being succinct, but uninformative.

1. What version of OS X are you using with Pages v5.6.1?
  2. Have you rebooted?
  3. Does Pages just bounce in the Dock, or does it produce a dialog box with a message? What message?
  4. Any Pages document, or a single Pages document won't open?
  5. Have you tried pressing and holding the shift key when attempting to open a Pages document?
  6. Have you followed any instructions from the Internet on modifying the Pages application bundle, or document contents?

Feb 14, 2016 1:17 PM in response to VikingOSX

I have a single Pages document that gives the error code "It's time to update! To open this document you'll need the latest version of Pages." error. Everything else opens. The really funny thing is, that file is the last Pages document I accessed (app. 2 weeks ago) and it opened fine then. Any ideas how I can get it to cooperate?

Many thanks in advance.

Apr 25, 2016 7:51 AM in response to Falconfan258

As you can see, you can't get a straight answer out of Apple. I had the same thing happen. Apple has been going down the toilet since Steve Jobs was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. No one can man the ship like he could. Apple has screwed up AppleWorks so badly it's ridiculous. This new version called Pages 5.6.1 falls in the same category as IPhones that bend, new programs that brick IPhones etc.. Apple never field tests their products. They release them with all kinds of bugs, and make guinea pigs out of their customers.

My advise is trash the new version of Pages 5.6.1. or go to a program like LibreOffice which is a much better designed program.

Apr 25, 2016 9:22 AM in response to coachrkr

Apple leadership and the Pages product team do not participate in these open Apple Support Community posts. We are volunteers, not Apple employees, so no one is gaming answers to you. You can count on us to give you a straight answer. Even one you (and Apple) don't want to hear.

You can communicate directly with the Pages product team via the Provide Pages Feedback menu item in the Pages application menu.

AppleWorks went end of life in August 2007. Apple didn't screw up AppleWorks, they just quit selling it, and moved on with the iWork '05, '06, '08, and '09 series — never intended to improve on, or replace AppleScript functionality. Apple continues to be about islands of technology. Adapt forwards, or enjoy marooned.

I recommended Falconfan258 provide a main post rather than thread-jacking, as a principal post gets more activity than one hidden in another post. I suspect that they have two versions of Pages installed: Pages '09, and some release of Pages v5. When you attempt to open a Pages v5 document from the Pages '09 file chooser, you will be prompted to update to a newer version of Pages. In english, it is saying that the Pages v5 document format cannot be opened by Pages '09. That same document, would open normally in Pages v5.

There are instances where Pages v5 (any release) will simply forget how to open its own recently saved documents. Sometimes, it remembers, and other times the document is lost forever.

LibreOffice has a steep learning curve, and certainly has some useful features, but my recommendations now are Office 2016 for Mac (Yosemite or later) as it has been improved over past efforts, has all the features that people come here to complain are missing in Pages v5.6.1, and as a bonus, you get to open/edit/save in native Microsoft document formats. Use Word if you absolutely must get the job done now. Use Pages v5.6.1 if you hate Microsoft, and don't care about lost time and functionality.

Apr 25, 2016 11:29 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for the reply. However, I strongly disagree with you on the former AppleWorks app, and what Apple produces now which is garbage. Apple has taken a step backward in regard to that application.

You stated that the Pages 5.6.1 sometimes forgets how to open it's own document, and the document can be lost forever. So you consider that acceptable ? I don't. These programs that we PAY FOR should function properly. As a former (now retired) aerospace/ aeronautical engineer I probably held the record for firing computer programmers at Lockheed. Sorry, but they seem to have one thing in common. Lack of common sense. These applications are supposed to work properly. You don't put programs out in the field without properly testing them first.

Islands of technology ? I don't think so. You would think the light bulb would have come on at Apple in someone's head that designing an extremely thin IPhone case, might just cause it to bend if someone puts it in their back packet which is quite common for people to do. The recent 9.3 IPhone program wiping out someones IPhone is another example of poor design. That is why we never let computer progammers near aircraft without supervision.

I've trashed that Pages 5.6.1 program as it's garbage. I just lost an important document which I will now have to reconstruct thanks to Pages 5.6.1. I also give straight opinions whether Apple likes them or not.

Apr 25, 2016 12:18 PM in response to coachrkr

By islands, I was referring to the document formats, and that people are still trying to convert their AppleWorks files and databases, or as you discovered, recover/recreate lost documents due to Pages v5.

I was certainly not defending any release of Pages v5. It speaks barks for itself.

I have a hunch that the Apple Engineering teams are so overworked, that user requirements, and quality assurance rank lower than task completion and job security. After all, there is likely someone at Apple poised to drive away those that bear too much conscience about the things that you and I expect based on our industry experience and conduct.

Apr 25, 2016 12:26 PM in response to VikingOSX

I agree. What is really strange is soon after posting my reply I received an update from the Apple store for Pages 5.6.1. It states in the description it addresses certain bug problems but doesn't say what those bugs are. That tells me they (Apple) know there are several problems with the Pages 5.6.1 program.

I can only say I am very grateful Apple is not in the aircraft avionics business.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.