Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to export files from itunes from shuffle

hello. i have files on the shuffle latest generation 5th i believe and i cannot export the files to the computer. i used to iTunes to copy the files to the shuffle and under windows explorer in windows 8.1 i cannot drag the music files from the iTunes window to windows explorer. since i did not use windows explorer to copy the files onto the shuffle the only way i believe to transfer them back to the computer is by way of iTunes. displaying the iTunes device under windows explorer shows no music files are on the device. only iTunes program shows the files on the shuffle.

whenever i select all music files from the iTunes window and then click copy and then go to windows explorer the paste menu item is grayed out. also when trying to drag and dropping the music files from iTunes and then into windows explorer i get cursor which looks like a circle with a line through it like its saying that the operation is not permitted or allowed.

using iTunes 12.3.0.44

any help or ideas would be nice.

iPod shuffle, Windows 8

Posted on Nov 22, 2015 9:52 PM

6 replies

Nov 22, 2015 10:00 PM in response to victor6799

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201544

This article explains how to put an iPod into disk mode. This allows a transfer between the computer and iPod as though it were a mass storage device.

If the music was synced by ordinary means and the device was not placed in disk mode, the music is not able to be "synced" from the iPod to the computer.

There is also the rule that states that only one computer can communicate with a device at any given time, meaning that to sync with a new computer, you must erase and sync.

If i'm not mistaken, you're trying to sync with a new computer correct?

Nov 23, 2015 11:08 PM in response to Iron_Lion

No I do not believe that I'm syncing with the computer and the shuffle. I just drag the music file a mp3 into the playlist which is displayed in the iTunes window. I'll check the link you've provided about disk mode. Not sure what that is really. The computer is the same computer which I used to copy and drag mp3 files from Windows Explorer into iTunes.

Update I just tried to enable disk mode but cannot find the appropriate menu (Edit-->Preferences) from the iTunes widows while the shuffle is connected.

Thanks

how to export files from itunes from shuffle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.