Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dead HDD or ?

Hello,

I will preface this by asking for patience as I may word things wrong or not know as much as most folks do on this forum.

Okay, here goes...

I purchased a 15" 2009 MBP from an auction site knowing that it did not have a hard drive. My son has a 13" 2010 MBP that suffered liquid damage on the logic board, however has still been working but with an external monitor. Prior to bidding on the the 15" MBP I did some research and determined that these two MBP's came with the same Toshiba HDD, so I placed my bid and ended up winning.

HDD Specs: Toshiba MK2556GSYF, HDD2E73 SATA 250GB 2.5" 7200RPM, FW: LJ001D

When the 15" MBP arrived, my husband and I swapped the HDD and it was working fine. As soon as the next day, it started "misbehavin" and causing grief, specifically random shut downs. I backed up the files on the drive and decided to erase it as my son had been using it for playing Minecraft,, Robox, etc. and downloaded a lot of files, so I thought it would be a good idea to start clean.

I had already downloaded the El Capitan installer onto a USB flash drive as that was the OS version that was installed on that HDD previously. I started the MBP in Disk Utility and selected the option to install OS X. I came up against an error during install that displayed, "An error occurred while extracting files from the package Essentials.pkg." I tried the install two more times with the same result. Thinking something may be wrong with the installer, I deleted the installer from my iMac, re-downloaded it to my iMac and to a USB flash drive. Tried the install again on the MBP and got the same error message.

I decided that maybe I would have better luck installing Snow Leopard to the MBP so I pulled out the flash drive that I have the installer for Snow Leopard on and attempted that install, which gets me to the screen where I select a language; I select English, hit enter or the arrow button to move to the next option, then the computer just shuts down completely. I now can't start up Disk Utility either.

I should point out that I did do First Aid and did verify the disk in Disk Utility. There was an error, but when I ran it again, the error had been corrected. Also, when I looked at the "info" for the drive, it said verified. I apologize for not having specific notes or pictures of what happened, but I know I saw that it said "No" under bootable.

I would like to know if this is something that can be fixed or if my drive is dead. I can't take it to the Genius Bar any time soon as the closest one is three hours away.

Thanks in advance for any guidance I am able to get from this forum.

I have been an Apple user since 1979... Apple donated Lisa's to our elementary school as a result of moving into our neighborhood (at the end of my street) when I was a child. I have never had to go to such lengths to get my Apple computers up and running as I have with Windows computers that I have owned; I eventually removed Windows computers out of my home from being so disappointed in not only their systems, but their customer service as well.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 23, 2015 12:26 AM

4 replies

Nov 27, 2015 11:55 AM in response to cochlearmom

I will second this. You have to have a Snow Leopard disk or operating system disk that is machine specific to the Macbook Pro or the retail disk. If the hard drive from your sons Macbook Pro had El Capitan already on it. Then even if you erased the hard disk, there should be on it the restore file. Then you could use Command R to gain access. Which would have disk utilities and a restore function. And as long as you have an Apple Apps Store id and password you can reinstall. Use a ethernet connection as it is faster. You must use disk utilities to began. You would erase the drive, go to partitions ,set one partition, check as GUID partition, click apply. Close disk utilities and go back to the restore screen and click on restore. Follow the on screen instructions.

Dead HDD or ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.